"Spinning Beachball" While Backing Up - Now Wont Open .cat File - error -24201

Hey,

Once I finally got my backup hard disk mounted (had a lot of problems getting it mounted, anyone know why? WD 120 GB Firewire) I opened up Retrospect Express, since I hadn't backed up in a while due to the hard drive not being able to mount, and started backing up my HD. Once I was backing up my HD I got a spinning beach ball. It remained there for quite some time so I hit the restart button on the computer. When the computer had restarted I had troubles getting the Firewire drive mounted again. Once I got it to mount I started doing the backup in Retrospect Express. I got the following error message: "couldn't open catalog .cat error -24201 (chunk checksum didn't match). After this the iPod wouldn't mount and I'm still having trouble mounting the firewire drive.

What's going on here?

Someone please help out.

Thanks,

Erland

-PS. There's a long delay of the of the letters coming up when I type this. Maybe a forum problem?

Hi

Fire wire hard disks should just work - I suspect there is something wrong with your OS or hardware setup that is interfering with communication over firewire. I think the corrupt catalog file is an offshoot of this problem. Do you have any trouble if you run a test backup to a file backup set stored on your internal hard drive?

What version of Retrospect do you have and what OS are you using?

Thanks

Nate

Hi!

Thank you for replying. I had no problems previously mounting firewire drives or backing up. Now drives seem to mount okay though, but the catalog file still won't open. I'm afraid of running a test back to a file back set stored on my internal hard drive in case I erase the hard drive. Is there any way of checking to see if it's an OS problem or hardware setup problem that causes the hard drives not to mount? And more importantly, how do I fix this? Would rebuilding the desktop help at all?

I have Retrospect express 5.x.

Thanks,

Erland

Hi

A file backup set is just a regular file. In other words having one on your internal drive won't erase or overwrite anything so no worries there.

The best way to verify if it is an OS problem would be to boot from the Retrospect install CD and then run a backup to the external hard drives. If that works you know the hardware is OK and the OS is having trouble. If it fails then you are likely looking at a hardware problem.

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I agree, hardware is still suspect. I've talked to a few people who had trouble with the built in Mac firewire ports. Adding in a 3rd party firewire card solved any problems.

The other possibility is there are problems with your OS install that are preventing firewire devices from running properly. Sadly I don't have much to offer for troubleshooting other that reinstall the OS.

In any case I doubt this is a problem in Retrospect. More than likely the firewire problems caused the error in Retrospect rather than the other way around.

Thanks

Nate

Archived