-37 (invalid name) - but not my conditions

Hi Everyone,

I'm backing up three volumes to a Peerless 20G drive. I used AppleShare through the chooser to mount both volumes to the desktop with an ethernet connection. The host computer and one of the shared volumes back up fine. With the other volume (a G4 Titanium Powerbook) I get "Scanning incomplete, error -37 (invalid name)" so it doesn't even scan the entire volume.

The description of this message is either "backing up NT Services for Macintosh directories via a Retrospect client" or "the file name may contain a character legal for Windows but not valid in Mac OS file names. Rename the file, removing such characters."

But I'm not using Windows and it doesn't tell me which file is in error in the Operations Log. I'm using OS 9.2.2 on all three machines.

I never got this error message with Retrospect 4.1.

Thanks!

Whoops - sorry, the other volume (not the host computer) got the same error. (I must have been remembering version 4.1, which did work.)

Also, it seems to complete the scan of each non-local volume (80K and 40K files respectively) and then give the error message, and then move on to the next source volume in the script.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an excerpt from a knowledgebase entry that explains this:

Retrospect 5.0 may report an error -37 when scanning or backing up mounted volumes that are running OS 9.x. This applies to users running Retrospect 5.0 under OS 9.x and OS X.

We are currently investigating this further and hope to fix it in a future release.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem using Desktop version 5.0.203 on a G4 533Mhz (dual) running OS 9.2.2. I mount two partitions from an iMac G3 700 Mhz, one is OS 9.2.2 and the other is OS X 10.1.4. Both mount just fine, using Appletalk and no hub, just a crossover cable between the two machines, with me logged in as the owner of the iMac. Under desktop v 4.3, I could back up the OS 9.2.2 partition just fine. Using desktop v 5.0.203, the process begins but the initial scanning of the OS 9.2.2 partition aborts, with error message: "Error. Scanning incomplete, error -37(invalid file name). (I think the same occurs on the OS X partition, but I am not sure this moment). Would you direct me to that knowledgebase entry? Any ideas on how I can be sure to find out when Dantz fixes this? THANKS :-)

Archived