Open File Backup Failure (1017)

I am running Retrospect for Multi-Server 6.5.336 on \\Betty running Windows 2000 Advanced Server with the latest service pack and patches. \\Betty has several local internal and external drives. The internal drives are scsi drives in an Adaptec hardware RAID (AAA-131-U2).

I have the Open File Backup option purchased and it shows up in my license list.

When \\Betty runs, open file backup fails (error 1017) on every one of its local internal drives (all in RAID) that it's trying to backup. This is despite the fact that I have Retrospect set to toss all users out of the volumes being backed up.

\\Betty also backs up \\Bambam running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Retrospect Client 6.5.132. There are never any open file backup errors on \\Bambam.

Why is it that \\Betty can't seem to back up her *own* files due to "insufficient permissions," but she can backup \\Bambam's files without any permissions issues?

BTW, I've been fighting this open file thing on and off for years. I've never fixed it -- ever. I just give up from time to time out of frustration. Still, I would like at last to get what I paid for a long time ago.

Rofftest version 1.01

Log file generated on BETTY: 3/4/2004 -- 8:55:16 PM

Running as user: [sTRICKLAND\Administrator]

User is member of Local Admin group [OK]

* Snapping volume [C: ]

Single-volume snapshot API:

Snap volume: [OK]

Access snapshot volume: [OK]

Unsnap volume: [OK]

Multi-volume snapshot API:

* Snapping volume [D: ]

* Snapping volume [E: ]

Snapshot mount failed: [0x00000005]

Access snapshot volume: [0x00000005]

Snapshot mount failed: [0x00000005]

Access snapshot volume: [0x00000005]

* Snapping volume [F: ]

* Snapping volume [H: ]

Thanks for posting-

That narrows it down to the E drive. What kind of disk is E: and how is it formatted? Turn of the "protect multivolume data sets" option in the open file script preferences and see if you have better luck with the other drives.

Thanks

Nate

E: is not the culprit. It's not that simple.

E: is a SCSI RAID 1 volume consisting of two mirrored drives. This is a hardware RAID. It is is controlled by an Adaptect AAA-131U2 RAID controller. It's formatted NTFS, as is every volume on every pc in my office.

Even though E: is the only volume which failed on the ROFF test utility, it is not the only volume which gets a 1017 failure when I try to back it up. D: and C: give 1017 failures too.

D: is also a SCSI RAID volume, also controlled by the AAA-131U2. D: gives a 1017 failure, but it passes the ROFF test utility.

C: is a single IDE drive controlled by conventional (non-RAID) IDE controller. C: gives 1017 failures, but passes the ROFF test utility.

"Protect multivolume data sets" is off and has been since Dantz's announcement that if you don't have any data sets spanning multiple volumes, that turning this off would boost performance.

Hi

Have you ever had an earlier version of Retrospect on this machine? I would uninstall Retrospect and reboot (if possible) then try a reinstall with the 6.5.343 installer from our updates page. Your settings and scripts will be preserved but the uninstall should remove/reinstall the open file module (roff.sys).

What user are you running Retrospect as?

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if this helps, but I had the same issue backing up from a raid-5 10 disk set (hardware SATA on Escalade). It's not exactly the same environment comparison, but you might want to check this out. I tuned the settings to this:

disk inactivity threshold

2500 (milliseconds)

retry timeout

20 (minutes)

Problem rarely occurs now.

I also get error 1017 on all of my volumes using 6.5.343. The volumes are a mix of NTFS as FAT partitions on a single physical IDE drive. Running the above I get the following

Rofftest version 1.01

Log file generated on ATHLON-XP: 28/03/2004 -- 10:08:49

Running as user: [ATHLON-XP\Alan]

User is member of Local Admin group [OK]

Error opening the control device [0x00000002]

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Alan

Hi

Open file backup is not compatible with FAT partitions. It only runs on NTFS.

Are you running RAID or anything like that? Are there any updates for the your hard disk controller available?

What virus software are you using?

Thanks

Nate

Hi

Sorry for the delay in answering

I am not running RAID or anything fancy, it's just a couple of bog standard IDE drives. I am not aware of an update for my controller but will do a little digging. I am using Norton Antivirus 2002.

Thanks

Alan

Hi. i get the same error message as Alan. the strange thing is, i paid for and installed retrospect 6.5 on windows XP on Sunday, and open file backup worked monday and tuesday. today it is wedensday and it hasnt been working all day. ive uninstalled and reinstalled and everything, including wiping the backup sets and scripts etc, and even re formatted my external hard drive (maxtor Personal Storage 5000DV) but suddenly open file backup fails every time. im not even using a client or on a network. just a home wireless network but even with that disabled this doesnt work. why did it work originally?

please help!

Kyle Duncan

hey... i have Open file backup working again, its a Maxtor USB 2.0 NTFS formatted drive. it turned out something i installed caused the VSS service to error, meaning open file backup couldnt work. the drive i am backing up is my laptop built in C drive, and i am backing up to the USB drive. so open file backup is working again, just need to be careful with software...

Archived