Retrospect Versions

AmyJ

I have actually had good results with Express HD for Windows under XP Professional. I use it to incrementally backup my data files every day on my notebook. I do not think I would try to do a complete hard drive recovery with this product as I feel a hard drive imaging product such as True Image is much more suited for such as task, but I do like how this software works for data files.

I would have to agree, however, that Dantz support has been less than stellar with respect to owners of Maxtor OneTouch II drives that use Express HD . There is very litte information on this site specific to that product. I would like to see Express HD listed with information clearly showing the current release, patches (it sounds like there is one patch that exists now for that product), issues resolved by past patches, and any pending issues. And as far as the patch that can be found for HD Express - - applying the patch essentially amounts to the user manually overwriting a DDL. It strikes me as odd that Dantz would not have taken a little more time to create a very simple installation program that performed the patch. This would have been much more professional and to be honest in in this day and age should be expected from vendors of quality software.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I have received remarkably satisfactory support from Maxtor on HD Express. Responded to the request in 24 hrs as promise.

HD Express is a pretty weak offering, however, and I can tell you first hand that the system recovery feature does not work on Dell PC's because it does not handle the goofy partitioning that dell does with their oem disks that you cannot duplicate if you have to replace that disk.

Hello,

I've just bought a Maxtor OneTouch II drive, unfortunately i'm running Xp64 so the silly Retrospect Express HD is not supported. I'm also running XP, the drive and software work fine.

Maxtor have informed me that I should be able to use the drive in XP64, unfortunately i'm not able to see the drive in Explorer, though in "Disk Management" (in the "Administrative Tools" section), the drive is present, but not initialised.

I'm thinking that the reason why i'm not able to access my files on the Maxtor (in XP64) is because I have previously password protected it using the Retrospect Express in XP, does this sound right? Or is it something else?

Jez

Retrospect Express HD does not provide password protection for your hard drive.. That is a function of the Maxtor One-Touch Utility. I don't know if Maxtor's Hard Drive password function would prvent access in XP64, but I would try turning off the password function under XP, then try accessing the hard drive in XP64.

• 3 months later...

Dear Amy and Nate,

Do you or anyone else at Retrospect monitor these forums?

I posted a question several days ago in a new thread asking if the disaster recovery disk immediately launches into a process changing files on my pc when run, or if it first provides opportunities to stop the recovery process. I wish to test the disk to verify it will boot ok. I made a disk but don't wish to test it until I can be sure I won't be overwriting my hard drive.

However I see a number of people have looked at my message but there are no answers to this question.

I searched the knowledge base and did not find a clear answer on this. And apparently there is no one I can send an email to and get my question answered.

If this forum also does not result in answers to questions does this mean there is no support for Retrospect users?

Thanks for your reply -

I am currently using version 6.5 express and am getting the following error. Can't Open Catalog File Backup Set A.rbc, error - 1017(insufficient permission). This is the only catalog file set I have. When I tried to create a new one it gave me the same error. If I go directly to the drive it will not even let me open the directory under Document and Setting\username. I get the same error insufficient permissions. I can however see folders under that directory when I go into retrospect and try a restore fine files and look for catalog set. Anybody have an Idea how to fix this. I am trying to restore files from this directroy.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it OK to ask a question here without starting a new subject?

If so, I have Retrospect Express 5.6 supplied with a Maxtor 5000DV (quite a while ago) and have just bought a DVD drive - NEC ND4559A (seen in the configure\environment as '_NEC DVD_RW ND4550A 1.06).

I know that I went about this backwards but needed a DVD writable drive and am just wondering if a) there is a purchasable upgrade to Express 5.6 and

B) Is a driver release likely for this new drive from NEC because there are a number of NEC drives listed in 'Supported'

Thanks for your help.

Hi

The NEC ND-4550A is supported in Retrospect 7.0 and above.

Unfortunately our site isn't showing it properly right now.

You can upgrade from Express 5.6 to Professional 7.5.

In the future please start a new thread for off topic questions.

Thanks

nate

• 1 month later...

Hello anettis.

Retrospect Express HD is not on the version list because we don't sell this version to the public. It is an OEM version which means it is free software that is bundled with the maxtor drives. However we do support it and there is an update to express HD 1.1 you can download by clicking on the link below. This update was released early this year.

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8153&p=2

Thanks,

RetroRespect

Archived