Retrospect Versions

AmyJ

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I've looked at the lists of versions and updates but can't find any reference to my version,

which is Retrospect HD for Windows Version 1.0.196, came out late 2004 with the Maxtor OneTouch Series II external HDD.

Does Dantz not support this version? Maxtor don't seem to, so have I bought an unsupported bastard?

Peter

I also have a Maxtor onetouch II with retrospect express hd 1.0.196. It has been out since late last year and it seems that Dantz does not even acknowledge that this version exists (there is no mention of it on their latest product version page) and they don't seem to be providing any updates. Although it is relatively new it is beginning to feel like an unsupported product.

Thanks for the info. It would be nice if they listed it to show the current version and that as of yet there are no no patches. After installing important software that does not have an update feature it is wise to check with the vendor's website to see if any important patches have been released. In this case Express HD is not even listed on the products version page - which can lead to confusion.

Quote:

Express HD is a OEM only product that is not sold except with Maxtor drives. It is fully supported, with the same support policies as all Dantz products.

You will also find several KB articles on this product.

But none of those articles address the problem with not even being able to install the product. There's some sort of .Net conflct with some versions of XP-pro, sp2.

I've had my Maxtor One-Touch II since January and haven't been able to use the software yet. The 6.0 product also included on the Maxtor disk hangs during a scheduled backup too. The newest version (7.0) worked fine when I used the demo version, but I don't see why I should have to pay $49 just to be able to use software that should have worked in the first place.

Sam

shocked.gif

I have also Retrospect Express HD version 1.0.196 since 23/03/2005.

There are problems to make backups. Sometimes it works sometimes not. The PC runs also very slowly. I seems that Retrospect Express HD "eates" too much Memory. Please Datz help us soon.

You are quite right about Retrospect HD Express having a quite large memory footprint. Even when Retrospect is NOT performing a backup a glace at Task Manager shows the following two related entriesappl.gif

Retrospect.exe Using over 27 MB

RetroExpress.exe Using over 39 MB

Considering most people only backup once per day (in the middle of the night) it seems that having these tasks taking up over 63 MB of RAM 24 hours a day is somewhat wasteful. I feel it is questionable software design to tie up 63 MB all day long which could ultimately cause unnecessary access to the swap file – particularly for those with 128MB – 256MB. Retrospect could easily been programmed to have a zero memory footprint (while not actually in use) by simply being initiated by the Windows Scheduler at the time a backup is scheduled. When I see this kind of bloat on PC software it raises a red flag for me.

You are quite right about Retrospect HD Express having a quite large memory footprint. Even when Retrospect is NOT performing a backup a glace at Task Manager shows the following two related entries:

Retrospect.exe Using over 27 MB

RetroExpress.exe Using over 39 MB

Considering most people only backup once per day (in the middle of the night) it seems that having these tasks taking up over 63 MB of RAM 24 hours a day is somewhat wasteful. I feel it is questionable software design to tie up 63 MB all day long which could ultimately cause unnecessary access to the swap file – particularly for those with 128MB – 256MB. Retrospect could easily been programmed to have a zero memory footprint (while not actually in use) by simply being initiated by the Windows Scheduler at the time a backup is scheduled. When I see this kind of bloat on PC software it raises a red flag for me.

I've been successfully backing up my 2 Windows XP Pro PCs with Retrospect 6 since I bought my Maxtor (v 1) just over a year ago. I backup each drive twice - to the Maxtor and another separate harddrive - belt and braces.

It seems successfull except that I get a number or errors which all seem to be related to my anti-virus software so I don't bother too much about them. I've not had to use the files for any restore (yet ! I guess I'm just lucky.)

Now here is the newby question - In the backup sets are a large number of files all named "AA000107.rdb - 614,408 KB" and similar and dated on the day that i did the backup, some going back more than a year and taking up a lot of space.

My question is: Should I delete any of these ? e.g. Those earlier than today's backup date ? Or is there an element of overlapping files that should be kept ?

If the answer to deletion is "yes" then how far back should I go ?

I'm really confused so would appreciate any advice.

Kind regards,

RonLuxton

Hi

Do not delete these manually. It will wreck your entire backup.

You have two options for getting rid of old data:

a)Every once in a while run a "Recycle" backup in Retrospect 6.0. This will empty out all of your backup data and start the backup again from scratch.

or

b)Upgrade to Retrospect 7 and use the "grooming" feature. Grooming automatically gets rid of old data without having to recycle the backup set.

Thanks

Nate

nate,

Many thanks for your help.

I'm a bit nervous, but I'll give it a try.

It seems as though the best time to do this is when I'm ready for my next backup ?

So I simply set the "Recycle" button and then go ahead as normal, which will delete all the old files and then do a full backup as though from day one ?

(Presumably, after this I must ensure that the "Normal" button is clicked for the NEXT backup ?)

I'm getting there !

Ron Luxton

• 2 weeks later...

This "grooming" feature is not working for me. I posted a question about this earlier but haven't received any reply. I am using Retrospect Express HD with a Maxtor OneTouch External drive. The drive is full and Retrospect has stopped making automatic backups. It is supposed to delete older files to make room but doesn't do so. I have tried to delete the files from the Setup screen and it asks if I am sure so I click on OK. But nothing happens. The files never get deleted. Am I doing something wrong or is this just buggy software?

• 2 weeks later...

I too find lack of support for this version disconcerting.

Perhaps it is their way of encouraging us to upgrade to the pay version?

At any rate... out of the box... if i try to delete a file that an application

has had open, my whole system freezes and I must hard reboot.

It's an expensive drive, surely they should at least accept bug reports

and make a half attempt to fix them.

My $.02

Not only does Retrospect Express HD appear to be an unsupported product with no upgrade path shown on the Dantz upgrade list, it won't even allow a simple restore operation if the boot drive won't boot. You have to reinstall Win XP, reinstall all the service packs and updates, then reinstall Dantz Retrospect Express HD, and only then, after hours and hours of work, can you restore your data.

Why bother????? I can't afford that downtime. I've gone back to using good old reliable Ghost 2003. If my system fails, I just boot into DOS Ghost from a floppy and then I can do a full restore. Retrospect HD is a waste of time, money and effort.

And it seems I can't even get a discount to upgrade to 6.5 or 7 to get a workable product.

Not happy.

• 2 weeks later...

In post #48755 dated 11/10/04 12:26 AM natew wrote (regarding version 1.0.196 of Retrospect Express HD):

Quote:

Hi

It is the latter. This is brand spanking new. Its actually a new product all together so it doesn't fit on the current list. Dantz will release updates and patches as needed.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate,

It is now the end of May (around six months since your post) and there is still no information about updates to this product on the web site. Any official news to report in this forum?

There are rumors about this product being buggy and that there are FTP patches that one can download if one calls tech support, etc. It would be nice to get something official, since I've gone back to Retrospect Express 6.0.222 OEM.

Retrospect Express HD is a cool concept -- the user-friendly, high-level features are what makes the Maxtor product so nice. However, the quality of this 1.0.196 version software is disappointing. I've posted some details over in another discussion, "Problems with Express HD? Call Tech Support".

Thanks for any details!

• 2 months later...

Quote:

In post #48755 dated 11/10/04 12:26 AM natew wrote (regarding version 1.0.196 of Retrospect Express HD):

Quote:

Hi

It is the latter. This is brand spanking new. Its actually a new product all together so it doesn't fit on the current list. Dantz will release updates and patches as needed.

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate,

It is now the end of May (around six months since your post) and there is still no information about updates to this product on the web site. Any official news to report in this forum?

There are rumors about this product being buggy and that there are FTP patches that one can download if one calls tech support, etc. It would be nice to get something official, since I've gone back to Retrospect Express 6.0.222 OEM.

Retrospect Express HD is a cool concept -- the user-friendly, high-level features are what makes the Maxtor product so nice. However, the quality of this 1.0.196 version software is disappointing. I've posted some details over in another discussion, "Problems with Express HD? Call Tech Support".

Thanks for any details!

Erm, I haven't yet bought one of the Maxtor One-Touch Drives yet, but it seems as though there is a possible upgrade path by following the link Maxtor Upgrade Path stated above, or am I misreading something on that link??

Just investigating the options prior to buying one of the drives. Oh, and a cut-down piece of software is standard practice when bundled with hardware products - of course the software company will want you to update to the newer version, but you only need to do so if the features included in the retail version are worth the upgrade price.

Cheers,

Nick

Oh, and I presume that all the posters who have issues outlined above have checked the Maxtor Knowledge Base?

There are software updates for the Maxtor OEM software here, a possible solution to the hanging by disabling the Windows XP Restore Point here, a possible solution to those using other firewalls than Windows XP SP 2 here, and a possible solution to the .NET Framework here.

Obviously, I still haven't bought a One Touch II Drive yet, but would be interested if the articles above are of any use? If not, I may look somewhere else!

Cheers,

Nick

Quote:

Hi Nate,

I've been reading these forums in the hope of a simple solution to all these problems - with the goal of buying a One Touch 300GB drive. however i've come to the conclusion that neither Dantz nor Maxtor care about the people that have already purchased one of these drives, nor care about potential customers.

Considering these issues have been going on for so long, with such little information being passed onto consumers it's unlikely that they're going to change soon. (haven't they heard about PR?)

Dantz, Maxtor - you've lost my £170, i'll be spending it with your competition

Archived