Backing-up Mac OS X and OS X Server clients with Multiserver 6.5

michaelh

Hello,

We currently backup a mix of Mac OS X Jaguar and Panther, and OS 9 computers (550 clients, 4.5 TB of data) with three separate versions of Retrospect Server 5.1 (upgrade to 6.0 soon for full Panther compatibility). Because of the limitations of this version of the Server product, we are seriously considering moving to Multiserver 6.5 because of its ability to perform multiple simultaneous operations in parallel to both disk and tape drives.

What I am looking for with this post is feedback from anyone who has used or is using Multiserver in this manner (backing-up Mac clients) and what their experiences have been. I've read all the documentaion on the product available at Dantz's website but I am interested in hearing from people who have real experience using it for this purpose.

Our backup situation is currently in crisis, any input or feedback on this topic offered as quickly as possible would be very helpful.

Thanks Much! -Michael

Hi..

Currently, we are using Multi Server to back up a mix of NT 4, 2000, XP, Mac OS 9/X clients, and Mac OS X Server (Panther). We have very few problems. The only notable issue that we've seen is on Mac OS X Retrospect Clients, we see errors such as "...data didn't compare at data offset 2300..." I have been told by Dantz that this is really nothing to worry about.

One other suggestion for you. Have you considered using a centralized server approach instead of backing up multiple workstations? This way, you only have two or three points of backup instead of hundreds. We've been using this approach for years, and it works quite well.

Hope this helps...

Marc Hoffman

Hello Marc,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, your response was very helpful and reassuring.

We are indeed hoping to switch to a centralized server model for data storage and filesharing services but this is a long term goal for us. Right now the Mac backup situation here is so hot it's on fire and we need to act quickly. The cost of migrating from Retrsospect Server (Mac) to Retrospect Multiserver (including all add-ons and service agreement) is so relatively inexpensive for us that it seems like a great short term solution. And who knows, if it performs well with few problems it might have a chance at fending off some of my colleagues' desire to deploy Veritas or Legato as our overarching Institutional backup solution.

Thanks again.

-Michael

Marc,

I don't mean to be a pest but would you be willing to have an offline dialogue, via phone or email, so that I might pick your brain a little bit concerning your experience with Multiserver and your overall backup strategy?

I would be particularly interested in how many clients (servers or personal computers) you backup, how often, how long you hold/store the data, and what kind of technology you are using.

If you wish to only post your reply in this forum that would still be very helpful. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

-Michael

Archived