Backup Server reports -519 Error on 2 Clients

jborella

I have been using the Retrospect Backup 6 for about a year now it was working great. I have a mixed bag of computers (Mac(os10), Win98, NT4.0 and Win2K) about 8 clients that are currently working great. No problems with backups what so ever. I have in the past week added two clients to the backup script. Both computers are (Dell Pentium 4, 1Gig RAM, 60Gig HD running Win2k Pro) Since then I haven't had a successful backup. I installed the same client as on all the other boxes (6.0.110) but what happens is i get the following error when trying to backup the two new clients.

Scanning incomplete, error -519 (network communication failed)

I know for a fact that the network is fine cause I am able to login to the Backup Server via PCAnywhere. Also on the Client box the retroclient.exe process spikes the CPU and I have to kill it or the machine will have very slow performance.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated

I've seen a couple of the -519s popup too. I have a bunch of Proactive clients on a 10Mbps LAN (with virually no load when this error happend at 12:18AM). Most are working but I've seen this occasionally on one or two (this is an XP Pro machine). I can't tell from the message if the backup worked, if the data phase work but the snapshot failed, etc. ???

-------------------------------

+ Normal backup using JL_RMK3_WST_TeacherStation at 2/12/2004

12:18 AM (Execution unit 2)

To Backup Set JL_RMK3_WST_Teacher...

- 2/12/2004 12:18:36 AM: Copying Drive C (C:) on jl_rmk3_ws2

2/12/2004 12:18:36 AM: Connected to jl_rmk3_ws2

Trouble reading files, error -519 (network

communication failed)

2/12/2004 2:11:40 AM: Snapshot stored, 66.3 MB

2/12/2004 2:11:52 AM: Comparing Drive C (C:) on jl_rmk3_ws2

Can't initialize source, error -519 (network

communication failed)

2/12/2004 2:11:52 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 29940 files, 3.8 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 56.2 MB/minute (56.3 copy, 0.0 compare)

Duration: 01:53:15 (00:45:54 idle/loading/preparing)

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I've posted the same message in other places, and gotten no satisfactory results...

This exact same thing happens to me too. In my case the two (out of 15) computers that fail are xServes. One is running 10.2 and one is 10.3, so I rule out an issue with the Client OS.

Both of these xServes used to back up just fine. (In fact, even now they work once every couple of weeks.)

I've moved the Backup Server and the Clients to different switches (faster/slower/different brands) to no avail.

As described above, when the backup is attempted, that Client hogs the processor to the point of being virtually unusable.

Running the current version of Retrospect.

I'm totally at a loss.

Archived