Backing up large volumes

I have an OS9 backup server that is having a great deal of trouble backing up an OSX client. The server scans the client, and finds ~128,000 files and ~25,000 folders. At this point, the backup fails, with

two errors: a can't save Snapshot, -36 error; followed by a can't save catalog, -24204 error. If I then select Tools->Update Catalog, I can go ahead and back up other clients into the same backup set.

My suspicion is that the server is running out of memory, either RAM or disk. I've given Retrospect 120 megs of RAM, and there is about 700 megs of free disk space on the server.

Does anyone know if this is sufficient, or if there is something else that I'm missing?

-dms

I'm using Retrospect Server 5.0, running on an OS9.0.4 machine with an 8mm tape drive. I could back up smaller volumes, and I could also back up subvolumes of the big OSX drives. The problem appeared when I tried to do a complete backup of a drive that had >130,000 files (though only ~6 Gb).

I did find a workaround, though it isn't optimal. If I put the catalog file on a remote-mounted harddrive, everything seemed to work OK. This indicates that the problem is the server's harddrive (an old 2 Gb SCSI drive). I'm not particularly happy with the idea of having the backup set on a fileserver (ironically, I ended up putting it on the OSX machine that I was having trouble accessing), so I'll probably eventually get a new SCSI drive for the server.

-dms

Archived