Scheduled Script Locks Up Backup Server

I have a problem and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I am running Retrospect 5 Workgroup on an OS 9.1 machine that is also running ASIP 6.3. I have a backup script that is scheduled to run every Monday thru Thursday at 8:30pm. If I allow the script to start Retrospect and then run the backup my server locks up. After I reboot the machine, as soon as I manually start Retrospect the script kicks in. It seems that the only way I can get a successful backup is if I always leave Retrospect open. This was something I never had to do with 4.3. Does anybody know of a fix I can apply?

I'm having a similar problem with Backup Server scripts. Backup Server is running on my desktop machine (Mac OS 9.2.2( and I've got it set up to start at midnight to backup the desktop, a Mac OS x client, and a Windows client. The clients are on laptops and are running the latest versions of their respective client software. The server is also running the latest Restrospect update (5.0.203).

In my case the system hang seems to come when the backup server actually starts to backup (copy data from) the first volume after having done the scan to see what needs to be backed up. The first volume varies based on which clients/systems are most in need of a backup. So I've seen this happen when the first client is on the desktop and when it is on the laptops.

The 5.0.203 update did not fix the problem. I tried increasing the memory allocation of Retrospect and that didn't fix the problem. I'm pretty sure that I've left Retrospect running (in both server and non-server mode) and still have gotten the hang, although not always.

The last couple of nights I've rebooted the system after I've finished using it prior to midnight, not use any other applications and then just let Retrospect Backup Server start on its own. So far this seems to let Backup Server proceed without hangs. Note that if I just quit all aplications rather than reboot. I can still get the hang.

This did not happen with Retrospect 4.3 and I haven't changed any other software on my desktop since upgrading to Retrospect 5

Thanks -David

Archived