Linux clients drop out on tape change - Error 515

tkw4u2

We have Retrospect Server edition 5.1. We're trying to back up a Linux server that has about 70 GB of data on it and we have two problems that seem to be somewhat related.

The first problem is that Retrospect is telling me that the first tape is full when it hits 29.6 GB. While the tape holds 68 GB I put in a new tape. The second problem is on the tape change. Retrospect tries to connect and then sudden says there is an execution error and stops. The error in the log is Error 515 (Piton protocol violation). If I start the backup again it picks up where it left off and goes until 33.4 GB on the second tape. Says the tape is full and asks for another. When I put the next tape in it stops the backup again. Same error in the log.

I use Retrospect to back up 15 workstations (Mac and PC and Linux) and it doesn't have a single problem with spanning tapes and active backups. We tried moving 60 GB of files to the Linux client that is working and we get the same error when it needs to span tapes. I can't say for sure if it's a file size issue or not as the Linux client that has been working has not yet had a backup interrupted by a tape change.

The server is running RedHat 7.3 and the Linux workstation is running RedHat 9. We've tried opening the firewall completely to the Retrospect server and even dropping the firewall during backup to identify the problem.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions for a solution?

Thanks!

Archived