Can't add that much data to backup set. The limit is 1000.0 G.

I am running Retrospect 5.0.238 on a Power Mac G4 533 MHz running OS 9.1 backing up to data tapes and have been doing so for as long as I can remember and have had no problems but all of a sudden I have got a error appearing saying that (Can't add that much data to backup set. The limit is 1000.0 G.)

It backs up all other client Macs except for 2 one is a G4 running OS 9 and the other is a G4 running OS X 10.3.2 Panther. It says that on the G4 OS 9 that I have Remaining: 7 files, 496.6 MB Completed: 0 files, zero KB to back up and on the G4 OS X Remaining: 136 files, 5.2 GB Completed: 0 files, zero KB so i can not understand why it is saying this error. Can someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doh.gif

Check that your backup set doesn't have close to 1000G of data in it. I've run into this many times before. This is a 'known' limit for retrospect (all of the 5.x versions, not sure if they fixed that in 6 or not).

I've also run into problems like this when having to recatalog a set sometimes. I've had it 'stuck in a loop' for lack of a better word, and it cataloggged the same files over and over again filling up my backup set (a 550 meg set of files balooned into 5.5G of files). I couldn't find a way to fix this or work around it. I had to toss my backup set and start over.

Also of note, it looks ahead at how much data there is to backup and if it will go over the 1000G limit it stops. Be thankful it stopped and warned you. I've had it overwrite the 100G limit without warning (which renders the backup set useless). It get's out of sync with catalog, and crashes retrospect when you try and recatalog it.

Hope this info helps. I know I've ruffled a lot of feathers on this board (and elsewhere) because of that. I'm at 7.5T (Terabytes) worth of data lost fo retrospect eating my sets with zero warning so far.

Retrospect 6.0 is no longer limited to a terabyte per backup set.

Quote:

Is there a work-around for the issue that Retrospect 5.0.238 won't backup single files over the size of 1000 Mb?

I'm unaware of any issues that would prevent Retrospect 5.0 from backing up a 1-gig file. Can you be more specific as to which issue you are referring to?

Quote:

AmyJ said:

Retrospect 6.0 is no longer limited to a terabyte per backup set.

I'm unaware of any issues that would prevent Retrospect 5.0 from backing up a 1-gig file. Can you be more specific as to which issue you are referring to?

I have a .ZIP file of the size of ~2,5 GB and it won't backup the single file. The error message follows: error -40, (file positionig error).

-G

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Gerk said:

If there is MacOS involved (i.e. HFS filesystem) that file is too large. There is a hard limit on file sizes with HFS of 2G. It can't deal with a file larger than that.

No, the file is on a Windows 2000 Server using it's default AppleTalk-share but the backup machine is OS 9.1

Does it have any affect on the backups?

-G

Archived