-506 after upgrading a Windows client

fregnergstrom

Recently I upgraded all my Retrospect Client installs (OS9, OSX and Windows). Everything went fine, except on a 4D Server running Windows NT4. The machine let me upload the update through Retrospect's interface, but after doing so it altered the client name, and when I select the client from my Retrospect server machine to configure it, I get the message "Can't log in, -506 (duplicate activator code)".

My server was running Retrospect Server 5.1.175 under OSX Panther at the time. Since then I've upgraded to Retrospect Server 6.0.178, but the upgrade didn't change this particular behavior.

I tried using NT4's Add/Remove Programs to dump the Retrospect Client install from the machine, then I did a fresh install with the latest Windows installer. But the error message reappears when I try to log into the client from my backup server.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi

I run into this too from time to time. I think Retrospect is detecting the client running on both NICs and getting confused. You can try blocking port 497 on one interface with a fire wall. You can also bind the client to one interface by running the following command from a command line

c:\program files\dantz\client\retroclient -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

the x's are for your IP address of choice.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived