What does Retrospect do between backups?

mauricev

It is often the case that when I look at the execution window in proactive backup, nothing is in use. This hardly makes sense since Retrospect has plenty of computers to backup. So what is it doing in between the last machine it backed up and the next one?

In the logs, I noticed particularly there is often 20-40 minutes between the end of a backup on one computer and the start of the next one (on the same execution unit, of course).

It is and that is clearly not working right.

I think what it is doing is scanning through the entire list first and then picking a single computer from the list to backup, then it repeats this entire process.

So if I see that it backed up 30 computers during the night, it has apparently scanned all 180 computers in the list 30 times.

Why isn't picking the first computer it sees, running a backup, then picking the very next one and the next?

Quote:

Why isn't picking the first computer it sees, running a backup, then picking the very next one and the next?

It will pick the first computer it can "find" in the list. Retrospect will poll the network looking for an available client, and if the machine is not available it will poll the next client. Once an available client is found, the backup will start providing that client has not been backed up in the last 24 hours (default look ahead time).

Check to make sure these client machines aren't being shut down or going into standby or hibernation. Watch the polling occur. If it skips a client that should be available and is scheduled to be backed up go to Configure > Clients and get Properties on that client. Click the "Refresh" button to establish a connection. Are you able to connect? If not, Proactive will not be able to either.

Quote:

It will pick the first computer it can "find" in the list.

Did you misread my post? That is the normal behavior.

R seems to be scan every computer in the list first and THEN it picks one to backup. I don't know how it chooses which one to backup as they are all waiting for a backup. The one it picks seems to be random. And I don't know why it suddenly started doing this or when or if it always has and I just never noticed it.

I think I will call tech support on it....

Archived