Anyone have a WORKING DLT1 config?

I'm trying to get up and running with Retrospect 5 on OS X 10.1.3 with an external DLT1 drive. My original SCSI card (the 2940U2B Apple OEM) doesn't work and is not supported. I replaced that with a retail Adaptec 29160. After I ordered the card, and before it arrived, Dantz told us that the 29160 card isn't working with Retrospect on OS X. I really REALLY don't want to get burned a THIRD time, so I'd like answers to two questions --

#1: Do Apple/Adaptec/Dantz expect to get the 29160 working via some sort of driver update? Any time soon? If so, I can just wait a bit.

#2: Does anyone out the have a WORKING configuration with a DLT1 and OS X? If so, I really want to know what SCSI card you are using!

Yours in frustration,

Dean

Some helpful Dantz folks have answered question #1 in other threads. The answer (paraphrased, but more-or-less correct) was: We may eventually retest, but don't hold your breath.

That leaves me still waiting for an answer to my second question. Does anyone have a working configuration with a DLT1 drive? How about ANY WORKING DLT CONFIG AT ALL?

I'd really like some details here, folks, so I don't go out and buy yet another card that won't solve my problem.

Yours in continued frustration,

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Based on an email from another poster, I went ahead and tried the 29160 with my server running 10.1.4 and a DLT1. (I'd held off because the 29160 was factory sealed, which would make re-sale easier if I had to replace it.) In spite of being officially unsupported by Dantz, I'm getting good results with the 29160 card. My server is running OS X 10.1.4. The 29160 card (with the latest Adaptec firmware) is connected to an external DLT1 drive, which is the only device attached to the card. I get about 180MB/sec backing up local disks to the DLT1. Backup of up to 13GB (with verify) and restore of up to 5GB (with verify) have all run successfully.

This leaves me wondering why the 29160 is on the unsupported list. It's working great for me!

Archived