Suggestions for a temporary solution?

I'm currently running Retrospect 4.3 to backup a LAN of five macs and some local folders on the server where Retrospect is running.

Up until a few weeks ago we were backing up to removable media (JAZ to be exact). Our last JAZ drive died and we got an external firewire drive with a PCI card (we're using an old G3 server). Now realize that the firewire drive wasn't exactly my choice, in the big, bad corporate world you get what they give you. I tried to get a reasonably priced tape drive but it didn't pan out.

So, I'm currently having a problem where Retrospect doesn't allow an individual set to exceed 2GB. I realize this is not an issue with the upgrade to V 5.0 and it's on my list of OS X things to get. But it could be several more months before we manage to get this upgrade. Currently I have two seperate sets on the firewire drive. Retrospect is set to do a nightly backup to either set A or set B every other week with a recycle backup thrown in about every six months. The only purpose of this backup is to backup our workstations current jobs, but seeing as how we're all designers our folders stay fairly full, particularly these past few months.

I'd like some suggestions for a temporary solution to get everybody backed up. As it is now, the back up stops after the third or fourth client, telling me that it can't copy any more data because the back up set can't exceed 2GB. I have considered making separate back up sets for each workstation, or maybe for every two workstations. I'm not sure if that is the best solution though. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So long as you don't exceed the maximum file count (somewhere in the several tens of thousands it seems) I have been very happy with using a separate file backup set per machine. These are handy because you don't have to partition the disk into separate volumes and waste a bunch of space in the process. The only limit (under 4.3) is stuffing the catalog into the resource fork, the main reason I upgraded to 5.0.

Archived