Restoring Full Exchange 5.5 server??

Nobbie

I'm having some really big problems doing a test restore.

I'm restoring to a different server for test purposes, and have successfully restored the C: and D: volumes, as well as the Information store and the Directory Service. All are restoring for the same date, just in case the log files, or anything else get the wrong date. As per the manual i've got the same setup NT4 sp6a, Exchange 5.5 sp4, Retrospect 6.5, and the exchange agent. In between restoring the volumes, and databases i've emptied the contents of C:\exchsrvr\mdbdata & dsadata, and D:\exchsrvr\mdbdata & dsadata, also as per the manual. After successfully restoring the databases i'm still unable to start the services, at the moment the problem is the DS won't start, and as they all depend on that i need to get that started first!. The services were started before the database re-store, then stopped and the contents of the above folders were deleted. The error message i'm getting is 1067 when starting the service. I've run eseutil and isinteg with no real sucess.

Has anyone else had the same problem, and what are the non techie methods of doing it, my process is below.

Thanks

Richard homer.gif

1.Install NT4 SP6A, Exchange 5.5, Retrospect, and associated service pack.

2.Restore C: & D: Volumes

3.Make the relavent driver changes

4. Empty mdbdata and dsadata on both partitions

5. Restore Information store and Directory service.

6. re-start and try to start services.

Hi

Have you tried this without emptying the mbdata and dsadata folders? The Exchange agent uses Microsoft APIS to copy the databases in. It should overwrite your existing databases while running.

Are you logged in as Administrator (sorry - have to ask)

Did you install Retrospect as Administrator?

Did you use Retrospect 6.5.336 and the latest driver update to do the restore of C: and D: ?

Thanks

Nate

I'll try the overight of a fresh install later today.

We've all done the Admin thing before so no worries. All the services, installation and logged in user are Administrator, We did try and create the RBU user, but for a test server we didn't see the need to.

All the driver updates match the back-up and restore. Although i've not installed the updates on the restore server, surely once the C and D are restored the driver updates would appear on the restored server, as the back-up server?!

I'll keep you posted,

Thanks

Rich

Surely if your restoring the entire C & D volumes, once you've restarted you'll have the latest driver, that you backed up. Hense if the server doing the back-up has the latest driver, and you restore that C & D, you'll have the latest driver, and all updates on the THEN restored server???

Or is this not correct?

Hi

That is correct. Sorry for not being more clear: In the end you need driver update 4.7 installed at the time you perform the system restore of C and D. Currently that is the "latest" driver update. It addresses some issues with live restore that could explain the trouble getting the directory service running.

Nate

Archived