NEC 1300: unable to configure DVD- DVD+ CD-R???

Hi

Is this drive in a 3rd party firewire drive enclosure or did it come this way from the manufacturer? Are there any firmware updates availible for the drive?

In OS9.2.1 and above you can set up access to the drive with a couple of different extension configurations. This acticle is specific to ATAPI drives but it also seems to work for firewire as well:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27104

I would try a base extension set + required burning extensions and Retrospect to see if you have better luck. Have you tried connecting the drive to another mac and running the configurator there?

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

it's a NEC 1300 in a LaCie casing off the shelf. It's brand new, no firmware updates available according to the supplier.

> Have you tried connecting the drive to another mac and running the configurator there?

Nate, this question hurts a little bit... 8o) anyway...

Tried running on 5 different Macs. Retrospect refused to write to any media (as explained before) on any of the Macs. To isolate the problem, I tried using Toast on all 5 macs.

- 3 Macs handled the drive without problems.

- On 1 Mac, Toast didn't see the drive. Upgrading Toast from 5.0 to 5.2.2 solved the problem

- 1 Mac didn't see the drive at all. I assumed an extension problem because that Mac is equipped with a Firewire CD-RW. Removing that drive didn't help. After restart with a base extension set the problem was solved (for Toast).

Note that running Retrospect with a base extension set doesn't solve the problem. cryrub.gif Tried this on the three 'no problem' Macs.

I'll look into your suggested links.

Thanks so far.

André

Oops...

I can't update to OSX on the intended archive system. But there is an even more practical problem: the network is too slow to keep up with the DVD burner, hence centralized archiving/restoring is no longer possible...

I'm afraid I need a different workflow here: Burning locally and cataloging (is this English?) the DVD's on a central system seems to be more practical. I'm afraid Retrospect isn't going to be of much help there, except of course for restoring from the existing DAT archive...

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks Nate for all your help! smile.gif

André

Hi

There are a few ways to go about this. Can you tell us how many clients you are backing up? Also can you post the backup strategy you are looking to use?

With OSX and Retrospect 5.1/6.0 you can slow the speed of your backup device - that may help with the network speed.

Thanks

Nate

Archived