Daily crashes at elem.cpp-855

today

More information. I finally caught it when it crashed, so I saw what it was doing before it crashed. It seemed to be backing up a MacOSX client. So I deleted all the MacOSX clients from my backup lists. Multiserver has now gone about 8 hours without crashing, including backing up Exchange server mailboxes and an SQL database. This is definitely the longest it has gone all week. I'll have to see if it makes it through the weekend to know for sure whether the Macs truly are at fault.

One thing I know for certain - my two Mac clients have the latest Mac client software that came with the multiserver 336 update.

Hi

There are a number of things that can cause this error apparently. One of which was fixed in an RDU. If you haven't already try the newest RDU version.

Has the error happend again since your last post? Have you tried forgetting the mac clients, restarting retrospect and then logging them in again? Does the error happen regardless of which mac client you backup? Does the error happen backing up subvolumes from mac clients? The operations log and the catalog file should give an indication of how far into the backup this error occured. Can you post some of that information?

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I do have the latest RDU installed. I have tried forgetting the Macs and re-adding them. The error seems to occur on both Macs I am backing up. I can't tell anything from the operations log or the crash log or the catalog file. Sometimes a catalog file that is not the ones the Macs are backing up to gets out of sync. I suppose this means that it might be crashing while indexing the Mac, before the backup actually starts occuring.

I would like someone at Dantz to take a look at the daily crash reports I submit and either fix the bug or give me some clue as to how to get around this bug.

Hi,

If you are also getting catalog out of sync errors there may be more to this than just the mac clients. What is your backup device and operating system? What other applications are running on the backup server? Does the error occur with immediate backups as well as scripted? How about with proactive backup?

Just so you know - Dantz will not contact you in regard to the crash reports. It is best to contact Dantz Technical Support directly if you want to investigate the issue more thoroughly.

Thanks

nate

Since it has not crashed since removing the mac clients, I think the problem has to be the mac clients.

I only get catalog out of sync when I get the elem.cpp-855 errors. And that didn't happen all the time. And the only catalogs out of sync were jobs that didn't have mac clients in them. So what I'm thinking was the issue here was that other jobs happened to be running at the same time as the job that was servicing the mac clients.

I thought that this forum was read by Dantz.

Hi

The forum is actively read and posted to by Dantz employees and members of Technical Support like myself. The bug reports that are genereated after a crash are sent to Dantz as a reference for our devellopers. To investigate them in detail you need to contact Dantz TS directly. (There are limits to what we can do in a public forum)

Can you back up _any_ data from these mac clients? i.e. one folder defined as a subvolume. What Specific OS and client version are the clients running? What kind of mac CPU/RAM setup are they? What is the format of the disks on the clients?

Thanks

Nate

Archived