I just upgrades to Retrospect Desktop v 4.3c with updates. I am backing up to a sony DAT drive with a G4 733, 640MB ram, and OS 9.2. The drive is connected with an Adaptec 2906 scsi card. I have run a complete backup successfully, but now I am having problems setting up and running a script. I have two sources selected which represent two different folders on the same HD. The script runs fine when backing up the first source. When it starts processing the second source, the program quits and gives me the error "The application Retrospect has unexpectedly quit because of an error of type 3 occured..." Any suggestions?

If you change the order of the volumes in the script, does it always fail on the same source disk (now the first one)? If so, it could indicate a problem with some of the source data. Running Disk First Aid could be helpful.

If the catalog file is corrupted, you could also get a crash when accessing one specific volume. If this is the case, it would require a catalog rebuild.

This type of error could also be caused by corrupt Retrospect preferences (retro.config) in the preferences folder. You can try moving this file to the desktop and launch Retrospect again.

It seems to be crashing with the one source only. I have run Norton's disk doctor and disk first aid, but came up with no errors. I also trashed the preferences and rebuilt the catalog. I tried an immediate backup of just that source, but that didn't work either. What I don't understand is that both sources are on the same HD and I ran a complete backup the day before which worked fine. Retrospect is crashing when it scans the files, before it starts transferring the files to the tape. I played around a bit and determined that I could start a new backup, select the entire HD as source, preview the files, and everything would work fine. When I tried to select that particular folder as source, it would crash when I tried to preview the files. Even if I created a new catalog and used a different tape.

This is very strange, if you move the folder to a different computer, does it still crash. If so, then this folder may contain a file with an illegal file name, or maybe some other very strange corruption confusing Retrospect. The next step would be to see if the crash happens on one specific file.

This folder contains 1.92 GB of data and I don't have any other Mac's that have room for that much info, so I'll have to wait on trying to copy it to another drive. What kind of characters would make an illegal file name? Is it something I can search for? With 3,726 files in the folder, it might take a while to narrow it down to one file.

The problem appears to have something to do with the name of the folder. I started by creating a new folder and moving half of the files to the new folder. Both directories scanned fine. I moved all of the files from the problem folder to the new folder and both scanned with no crashes. I then deleted the old folder and renamed the new folder with the same name as the old. When I scanned the new renamed folder it crashed. I changed the name of the folder again, adding a "1" to it, and suddenly it works fine. At this point, I'm completely baffled.

Since I am having problems defining a specific folder as a backup source, I am wondering if I should use a manual file selection to define the folder I want to backup. I have no problems selecting the entire hard drive, unmarking the folders I don't want and running the backup. My only question is: Would this work with a daily backup script selecting new or modified files? In other words, if I set up a script and manually select a folder, would it archive all of the files or only the ones that were in the folder when the script was set-up?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a manual selection of files and/or folders in the preview window, make your own custom selector to back up the same selections of files at a later time. To do this, highlight the files and/or folders that you wish to backup (highlight more than one by holding down the Command key), and then select Save Highlights from the Browser menu. Give this selector a name and click OK to save it. This selector will now be available elsewhere in Retrospect for you to use. Applying this selector in future backups will include new files in selected folders, but not other new files.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 4 months later...

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I have just run into the identical situation -

A brand new install.

One sucessful backup of a folder started (interrupted after 2nd CD, went back and added another CD later - paused again)

then...

leaving the partially backed up folder alone, started a NEW backup set of different directory, which resulted in continual type three errors as the list/icons are updated, even when listed folder is copied to a different drive - went the route of rebuilt desktops, cleaned volume bitmaps, uninstall, re-install, failed again, and again, et la, et la, and finally -

add "BU" to the beginning of the failing folder name - and guess what - it is backing up as I type. What the hey? my tested and failed folder names are: "Customer 1999.12.01", "Customer 2000.06.01", "Customer 2000.04.20".

The kicker is that my first backup folder (the one that started and continued just fine until the first fail) was named "Customer 2002.02.01". No characters that were not in the other failed folders. Now that things are actually working, I will add BU to all and see what happens.

I am running OS 9.2.2 on a parallel processing G4 (yeah, someone bought one)

backing up to a week old QPS Que!Fire 16x/10x/40x cdrw.

Also, after the first failure, I have not been able to get two error free volume bitmap reports on the Firwire Maxtor HD Im backing up from. TechTool has handled this HD cleanly for some 12 consecutive cleanups - until Retrospect had its type three problem. Although renaming the folder seems to work for retro at this time, I am still moving each folder to a clean second drive, renaming and backing up from there. Oh, the folder will still fail on the clean drive unless the renaming occurs. It is almost as though the entire directory of the drive upon which the failure first occurs is somehow made invalid and every subfolder needs to be renamed to be 're-validated'.

If anyone ever ran this one to ground, I would certainly appreciate hearing about it! I raved about retrospect to the company owner (based upon an older version I used for years), and now that I sold him on it, I am busily trying to make excuses for stuff he never experienced with Cheyenne on his PC.

Thanks to any and all offering help

The solution that I came up with was to not use the folder as a backup source. What I do now is to define the Hard Drive as the source, then I go to the selecting options and use the "Include files matching" options to define the folder. For one of my scripts I am backing-up two folders. One selector reads like this:

Path name of folder starts with Macintosh HD:Customer Jobs:A-G:, selecting all enclosed items.

What this does is select all the files in that particular folder. The key to this filter is that you must use the entire path name of the folder, starting with the name defined in the Source of the backup set.

Hope this works for you.

Archived