write protected disc

I've seen a number of posts about this issue but don't know how to solve the problem.

I'm on an iMac G4, on system 10.2.8. I tried to back up to a DVD-R I've burned before and for which the backup set is configured for CD/DVD. I get a message that the disc is locked and write protected.

I'm using Retrospect 5.1.175, with driver update 4.0.103. The Mac uses a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 Atapi-A.

How do I get out of this difficulty? Since the DVD-R containing Retrospect data is not visible on the Mac desktop, how can I change the permissions for it?

Thanks,

Barry

I too am having the same issue. I have tried at least 5 BRAND NEW discs and I keep getting the same error message. I am running Panther and using Retrospect 5.1.175. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have Retrospect 5.1.167, running on an iMac, OS 10.2.6.

I have been backing up to CD-RW discs just fine, but suddenly in the middle of a backup every disc I put in results in the message that "the disc is write protected. Please unlock it and try again". As far as I can tell the discs are not locked, they are straight out of the packet, just like all the others I have used, and there doesn't seem to be a way of either locking or unlocking them.

When I click on device status, I get the following

ATAPI-A SONY DVDRWDW-U10A A13b -RDI(TAO)(5.10)

Does anyone know what the problem is, and how can I fix it?

Nate

Thank you for your reply, but with all due respect, it isn't much help.

The thing is, 2 weeks ago, the program happily backed up to CDRW disc no. 25. One week ago, during a backup, it requested a new disc - when I inserted a brand new disc, absolutely identical to the previous 25, I got the "disc is locked" message. I got the same message with another disc from the same pack, and with a new Sony disc.

I don't understand how updating the driver will change anything - why is it that the old driver was OK for discs 1 to 25, but choked on disc 26? Is there a backup volume limit with my present driver?

What does it mean that the disc is locked? How can I unlock it? Disc Utility tells me the disc is fine, no mention of it being locked or unlocked.

I now have 2 weeks work which is not backed up, so I am getting nervous.

Regards

DW

Actually my situation is worse that I thought.

I just tried to retrieve a file, Retrospect told me to insert disc 9, and I got the "incompatible" note with the locked symbol. So my entire backup set is inaccessible at present, and I have no protection at all.

What on earth is going on, and how can I get it going again?

Regards

DW

• 2 weeks later...

I will post this update, although I'm not sure why I'm bothering, given the response so far.

I have finally managed to download the driver update 4.3.103, but when I attempted a backup, I got the usual "incompatible" message.

I have Retrospect 5.1.167, running on an iMac, OS 10.2.6.

So I still cannot backup, and I also cannot retrieve, the 2 purposes I bought Retrospect for. I would have thought that this would be intensely interesting to Dantz, but apparently not.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived