can't see client

djmiller

I am running Retrospect 5.1 server on OS 9.2.2. One of my Win98 clients was crashing the server so I upgraded that client to 6.5. Now the server can't see the client. I can ping back and forth between the server and client but Retrospect doesn't see it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. IP on the client works fine. Help!

Hi

How many network cards do you have on the client? If a firewall or internet security is installed be sure to turn it off on port 497. Updating or Reinstalling the Network drivers on the windows 98 machine often helps - this is true even when the Network is otherwise working well.

Nate

I am having exactly the same problem.

I upgraded a Win98 client from 6.0 to 6.5 and the backup server (Win2K SP4)

can no longer see the client. The Client Add dialog "Test" button can find the client

when given the client's IP address, but the client never appears in the list.

The technote you referred to is for Macintosh, and this problem is occurring

on WIn98 clients.

Hi

The 6.5 client is supposed to bind itself to every network adapter on the system. This may be happening but the computer is probably trying to route multicast to the PPP adapter. Try this:

open up a command line window and "cd" into the directory where retropect client lives. On Win 98 it is C:\program files\Dantz\client (I believe)

Then type retroclient -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

the X`s will be the ip address of your network adapter.

Hopefully that should sort it out.

Nate

BTW, in my case the client does not have a modem and does not have a PPP

connection even defined. I'm not so sure PPP is the problem, at least here.

You are correct, however, that the client isn't responding to multicast. I have

Ethereal on the backup server and can see the outgoing multicast packets

but there are no responses.

This used to work fine before I upgraded to 6.5.

Quote:

BTW, in my case the client does not have a modem and does not have a PPP

connection even defined.

It won't necessarily be a PPP adapter. Check your network adapters - there may be more then you think (AOL, VPN, etc.)

Binding the client to a specific IP address need only be done once.

Quote:

Binding the client to a specific IP address need only be done once.

That's good to know.

I only have one client, but if I was a backup admin at a large company with

hundreds of clients, I'd be pretty upset at having to visit each client after

the upgrade.

I still think this is a high-severity bug that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Please note that I just recommended Retrospect to one of my

own consulting clients with about 50 systems on their network. They will

be evaluating Retrospect and I'll have to tell them to hold off purchasing

until this bug is acknowledged and given priority.

• 1 month later...

Quote:

natew said:

For the record, this is the first time I have seen this come up since Retrospect 6.5 shipped. I suspect it happens on a few windows 98 machines so I doubt you will see it very often.

Actually, I'm having a similar problem on my small network. I'm running Retrospect 5.1 on a Powerbook laptop and have installed the Windows client on a win2k laptop. They are networked wirelessly via a Sonicwall TZW and on the same subnet.

All firewall ports are open between the two devices and I can network otherwise (ping, shares, etc.), but the Windows Client does not show up in the Retrospect Network dialog.

I tried the suggestion of: retroclient -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but that doesn't seemt to work. (btw, it's very difficult to tell that the command is a "dash eye pea", it looks like an "ell pea").

Any hints or suggestions appreciated.

Owen

Hi

What OS is the Powerbook running? If this is OSX Does portscan (network utility) show that port 497 is open on both machines for TCP and UDP? Does the problem continue if you disable the built in ethernet and modem on the mac? How about disableing the ethernet card on the PC

Thanks

Nate

• 1 month later...

I'm using Retrospect Professional 6.5 with 2 clients connected over a wireless LAN to a Wireless Access Point + DSL Modem Combo. The Backup PC is connected to the WAP/DSL Modem by a wired LAN, all the pcs are running Windows XP SP1 Home Edition. I was initially only able to access either of the client PCs once and then they could not be found again until I rebooted the backup PC. They could then be accessed just once only and only again after a rebooting the Backup PC. Norton Internet Security on all 3 PCs and the hardware firewall in the WAP/DSL Modem had nothing to do with the problem which I eventually traced to the backup PC. This PC also has a Belkin Bluetooth LAN adapter connected via USB and I found that if I disabled this then I could perform backups across the network without problems. I have disabled all the running services and startup programs and re-enabled the lot and the only solution is to disable the Bluetooth adapter in Network Connections. I am not using a Network Bridge on the Backup PC and DHCP assigns the IP addresses for the the LAN Adapters on the Backup PC and for the Wireless Adapters on the Clients. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the conflict with the Bluetooth Adapter :? frown.gif

I've fixed this problem by disabling TCP/IP in the connection's properties, I don't need this as I only connect via Bluetooth with a mobile phone and pda. It turns out that Retrospect is trying to bind with this adapter as well as the normal LAN adapter and of course it can't recognise it. So proble fixed smile.gif

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

For the record, this is the first time I have seen this come up since Retrospect 6.5 shipped. I suspect it happens on a few windows 98 machines so I doubt you will see it very often.

Nate

We also have the same situation. We installed Retrospect 6.5 MultiServer running in Windows 2003 Server and Retrospect clients - Windows 2000/XP and Mac OS9/X in a testing network environment using Linksys BEFSR41 and things worked fine. However, when we moved the Server w/Retrospect 6.5 outside the testing environment. Clients do not appear in the "clients" window and when "tested", a message returns error 541 - backup client not installed or not running.

We called Dantz tech support and they replied that we must be running a firewall and suggeted that we review the Internet Connection Firewall configurations in Windows. Unfortunately, ICF was not enabled and this error is not well documented in the Users Guide. The best part is this forum. Great threads - keep it rolling! I'm certain someone in the Dantz community will prevail with a solution.

Because of natew ... his comments and suggestions allowed us to backup with Retrospect 6.0 client instead of 6.5. At this conjunction, at least we have backup. As it turns out, our IP address range begins with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and 6.5 client will not see this range and return a 541 error message.

Many thanks to "natew" and his vigilance of monitoring this forum with helpful suggestions.

Just out of curiosity, why are you "using" (i.e. allowing Windows to fail DHCP and failover to a random 169.x--could randomly conflict...) a 169.x IP range? It seems like you should either set up/turn on a DHCP server (software, a cheap router) *or* set up static IPs. If you're manually setting the IPs, you shouldn't be using a 169.x class (192.x, 10.x, 172.x are designated for private LANs).

Archived