elem.c-817 replaces elem.c-812?

Jeebes, I've been getting it too, and it is fairly reproducable. I'm also still getting my ASIP file server crashing on me during backup.

The frequency of the elem.c-817 is less than with the elem.c-812 crashes, but only, I think, because I have far fewer OS X (10.1.3) clients than OS 9.x clients with file sharing turned on. It is only happening to OS X client machines interestingly - when it hit my OS X 10.1.3 mail server, it backed it up without a hitch (though it reported my mirrored drive on the server as corrupt?!).

The real nail in the coffin of all of this is that my ASIP file server is still crashing. How many times do I have to crash my companies file server before I can expect a stable and safe product?

Dantz - I appreciate the effort on releasing a patch for what was a major problem, the 812 error, but the only reason I upgraded to 5.0 was in order to back up my OS X boxes without having to use a beta.

Still not a happy camper.

Backup Server -

Retrospect Server v.5.0.203

Power Mac G3/266

384MB RAM - 200MB assigned to Retrospect

Asante 10/100 PCI card

Adaptecimum PowerDomain 29160 SCSI card

Lacie 35/70GB AIT drive

Servers -

ASIP 6.3 File server (OS 9.1, client 5, 3 hard drives, ~80GB total)

ASIP 6.3 Print server/Filemaker 4.1 server (OS 9.1, client 5)

OS X 10.1.3 mail server (client 5, mirrored 40GB drives)

Clients-

70% OS 9.2 (70% with 5.0 client, 30% with 4.2 client)

20% OS X 10.1.3 (all with 5.0 client)

10% Windows boxes (Win98+2k, all with 5.0 client)

The 29160 card is no longer supported according to Dantz. It was initially but then it was flagged as non-supported. Worked fine with my 4.3 server. This is getting to be a real expensive upgrade. I replaced my 29160 with a ATTO UL3S. Can't confirm though that the Adaptec card is the culprit in your case.

I thought the "qualified" list for SCSI cards applied only to OS X (and not OS 9)?

I assuming BiG is using OS 9 as he mentions assigning 200MB to Retrospect...

Adrian

BTW I have not seen the -817 error (yet?). I backed up about 16 clients this afternoon, of which only 3 were OS X (and only 2 of which had sharing on).

Perhaps the elem.c-817 is simply an error due to a corrupt preferences file? If this is possible, can a tech maybe lend some advice as to the odds that it might be, so that I can have some reassurance of my wild goose chase before I wipe my preferences and start all over?

When testing and preparing for the "update" to Retrospect we did not see the elem.c-817 error in house. We take this problem seriously and we are collecting configuration details, etc. so that we can try to reproduce this problem in the lab and do the needed internal investigations.

When the elem.c-817 happens, have you tried restarting the computer or have you been returning to Retrospect without a system restart? I would suggest a restart to see if it helps clear up this error.

If you do suspect damaged preferences, then try removing the Retro.Config (5.0) from the Retrospect preferences folder, login a client and try reproducing the assert error.

I backed up ~100 machines last night without any 817 or 812 errors. The only oddity was that defered backup from a OS X client did not work properly. The getting ready to backup dialog pops up, you select 2 hour delay and when the server cycles around again to your client the dialog pops up again. Could become very annoying.

Mayoff,

I'll try to get more information later this week to you. I am desperate to get one complete backup of my office done, including all clients and servers, so I am running a very scaled down, careful backup right now. I'll start doing some tests when that is completed. Currently I have retrospect set to basically not talk to the clients at all - just to back them up. That means no clock sync, not time stamps, no reporting, nothing. Seems to have helped.

as i mentioned in the old -812 thread, i'm still getting -812 errors on one backup set. i recreated the backup set and reconfigured the clients to no avail.

i have no idea why it would be localized to one backup set though. the other set ran just fine through 12 or so clients.

the broken set has crashed three times now with -812 errors.

Archived