Duplication & locked files

Folks

I am seeing some problems with file duplication operations using Retrospect 5 under Mac OS X.

The idea is to duplicate the content of a mounted ASIP volume to a local directory. Everything seems to go fine except that I have some corrupted files... ouch ! It seems that the problem occurs when the following conditions are met

- the file is locked

- it is modified since the last time it has been copied.

Let's say you have a duplicate routine every week. On week one, everything goes through just fine. Then you decide to change a locked file (and re-save it at the same location / name with the lock on). When the routine runs again it corrupts the destination file. No error reported but the file is definitely kaput. Have not selected the file compare option which might pinpoint this problem but as far as I can tell this is no error reported.

This seems to be pretty much reproductible, although I am not (yet) sure that it is a 100% rate (there might be some other factors involved)

Anyone else seeing this ?

--alex

Alex,

How did you mount the ASIP volume?

Did you configure Retrospect with the server's password, and have Retrospect mount the volume?

Or, did you mount it in the Connect to Server dialog box and use it from within Retrospect that way?

I tried using the first (correct) way and had no corruption. Here's what I did:

- AppleShareIP server share point, lock a text file.

- Retrospect 5.0.201 on a different network machine.

- Mount the ASIP share.

- Configure->Volumes->Select Share.

- Choose "Configure" from the Volumes menu, give Retrospect the server password.

- Put Away volume.

- Proceed with Immediate Duplicate, using ASIP share as Source, a defined subfolder as Destination.

- Watch Retrospect mount the server volume and backup all files.

- At server, unlock text file and change its contents.

- At Retrospect machine, do another Immediate Duplicate; note that only one file is copied.

- Open duplicate destination folder and open test file; file opens and updated text is seen.

Archived