Backup Mounted Disk Images in OS X

I share some mounted disk images so I can restrict the partion size of each. I was hoping that Retrospect would treat each mounted disk image as a volume and back up as a volume. I have set to not back up the actual image files. Any way to back up a mounted disk image as a regular volume?

Thanks

Dana

Myrtle Beach, SC

In my experience it is hard to stop Retrospect from backing up mounted disk images. Interesting to hear from someone for whom this is a feature rather than a bug. smile.gif

There was a problem with Retrospect 5.0 with the default settings and a read-only image, Retrospect would hang after trying to change the volume backup time.

You are probably not affected by this issue assuming your disk images are mounted writable (and the work-around is to change the backup settings to leave the volume backup time alone).

Quote:

I believe changes in 5.1 were made to allow for this

Retrospect 5 has always been able to backup mounted disk images; I _think_ the change in 5.1 was to allow Removable Backup Sets written to multiple mounted disk images and then burned to read-only optical to be Restored direcctly from the CD's. This was doable as a ResEdit hack under OS 9, but became impossible in 5.0.

Dave

Archived