Retrospect 5.0.201 on OX X 10.1.3. I back up to a internal SCSI hard drive. I have several volumes on a windows machine that I also want to backup. Backup works fine. The recycle backup backs up the entire vlume as desired. However, an normal backup to the same backup set also copies all files in the volume, when I know that few, if any, have changed. Older version of Retrospect in OS 9 did this properly, however in OS X the entire volume seems to always be copied taking much to much time and space.

Whant can I do to make sure that the normal backups oly backup the changed files on the external PC volumes?

I ran into this as well, and noticed it this morning that last night's backups are still running! I have the backup set to Normal, and it is copying the full volume on Windows clients. The Mac clients are backing up incrementally as expected.

??? interesting.

Retrospect uses several matching criteria to find new or changed files. If one of the criteria has been changed, Retrospect will back up the file again. On Windows, Retrospect looks at creation date and time, modified date and time, size and name. If match only in same location option is set, Retrospect matches on the path, volume name and drive letter also.

If Retrospect is reporting that it is about to back up files you know have not changed since your last backup, take a closer look at a sample file. Choose a file and start a restore by search for that file. When you get to the final window (you don't actually have to do the restore), click Files Chosen and Get Info (Command-I) on the most recent version of the file on the backup.

Now, go to the Configure tab from the Retrospect Directory and click Volumes. Choose the volume the file is on and click Browse. Find the file in question and Get Info on it. Put the two windows side by side and look for even the slightest difference in any of the criteria I listed above.

Many things can cause a change in a file, even if the file has not been accessed by the user. The operating system, as well as applications, are constantly making changes to files. Further, whenever you change time zones in the Date & Time control panel, your creation and modify dates are offset.

Are you able to see what is different, or why Retrospect wants to copy all files again?

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

I have been having a similar problem with backups of files from our IP6 server, and snap servers. For the last two nights, Retrospect has backed up all of the files. All connections are made via an Appleshare login (no client). In closer examination of the files in the backup sets, the only difference is a 1 second difference in both the creation and modification time. In one case, the same files were backed up 3 times in a row, with each time the creation and mod times decreasing by 1 second.

I have experimented with this by creating a new folder with a file in it. I backed it up to a new storage set (using a script). About 30 seconds after backing it up, I ran the backup script again and it backed up the file again. Going into the contents browser in Retospect showed that the Creation and Mod times have been changed by 1 second.

This does not consistently happen. When I ran the script a third time, it didn't back the file a third time. Sometimes it backs it up only once. Even though it isn't consistent, it does happen a lot, and it has been a problem (I have 16 gigs to backup off one server).

This did not happen under Retro 4.3.

Pete Norton

Archived