Disaster Recovery and backup sets

tlemons

Hi

I've read the manual chapter on disaster recovery several times, but I'd like to pose a few questions on DR, if I may.

It seems that a particular DR CD is tied to a particular non-recycled backup set, true? So, it also seems that the DR CD is good only as long as that backup set is not recycled.

I had planned to use one of the recommended (in the manual) rotation schedules, which would have me recycling backup sets every 4 weeks or so, and creating new backup sets every week. So, it sounds like I'd need to create a new DR CD every week. Is that true?

If so, am I better off not creating the DR CD until I need it?

Thanks

tl

Just to be clear, as of 6.5.336 I only need to create 1 DR cd for each machine regardless of which backup set/snapshot I wish to restore from?

If so, this is much improved because I would have had to make a CD for every server and backup set to be fully prepared. So....15 servers x 7 backup sets = 105 DR CDs! LOL, 15 CDs is a little easier to swallow.

Hi

You are correct. One other cool feature- you can make the DR CD after the computer has crashed if you like. All you need is access to your backup set and a windows install CD for that OS. (and of course a working Windows machine with Retrospect to create the image with)

Nate

Archived