Device error marks tape as complete?

Short version: Retrospect has decided not to write further data to a tape after I got a device error. There does not seem to be a way to tell Retrospect that the tape is not really full. Is this a feature to prevent continued use of suspect media, or a bug?

Details:

I got a device error last night:

Additional error information for device "Ecrix VXA DC" [0:3],

Sense > f0 00 03 00 00 00 01 18 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 00

(ECRIX |VXA-1 |2959)

Trouble writing: “3-Zeta” (4102288896), error 100 (device rejected command).

and now Retrospect is asking for a new tape. The tape that got the error only has 200M instead of the typical 40G on other tapes in the same backup set.

In the past after getting a hardware related error I would decide myself whether the tape was bad or the heads need cleaning or whatever, and then either continue using the tape or mark it as missing (bad). I am not sure whether I never got this particular error before, or whether Retrospect 5 behaves differently.

In most cases when Retrospect encouters a device or media problem, it does its best to log it and move on. In some cases though, the backup fails, and Retrospect may no longer wish to append to that tape for the exact reason you mention: to prevent continued use of suspect media.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived