time of email notification

orange

a very trivial point..but

when I select email notification from retrospect it seems like the email is being sent with an incorrect date stamp, that is it doesn't seem to be taking account of daylight saving time. This means I receive the email an hour before it is sent !

here's a bit from the header

Received: from xyx.com ([123.123.123.123] helo=XYZ)

by xyz.com with smtp (Exim 3.35 #1)

id 1A9MZI-0003Yg-0U

for simon@xyz; Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:38:20 +0100

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 03 11:38:20 +0000

To: simon@xyz.com

Subject: Retrospect notification from XYZ (14/10/2003)

MAILER-TRACE: 0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"ISO-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Mime-Version: 1.0

Message-Id: <E1A9MZI-0003Yg-0U@xyz.com>

X-RCPT-TO: <simon@xyz.com>

all machines are on daylight saving time. Don't know if this is just a win2k3 issue (not responding to a time request properly) or a retrospect issue.

retrospect 6.5.319 (not installed latest patch yet)

simon

I can see that the time sent is correct but doesn't take account of daylight saving time. The sending machine (running retrospect) date stamps the message with the correct time - but doesn't include the daylight saving offset (1 hour at the moment). The client is showing the time correctly and knows that it is in daylight saving time but this doesn't seem to be reflected in the outgoing mail.

The receiving mail server (my ISP) knows about daylight saving time and stamps this in it's headers (+100) but the outgoing mail doesn't have this +100 stamp. As I suggested I don't know if this is a retrospect issues or if win2k3 isn't reporting back the time correctly (although other dates stamps in the backup logs are fine).

It seems that the relevant (and incorrect) part of the mail is in the header generated from retrospect (the originating client) ....i.e.

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 03 11:38:20 +0000

si

Mikee,

just trying to make sense of your mail. I assume that you are saying that 'external application' is the smtp server, if not I am not sure what the 'external application' is.

the SMTP server is my ISP's - at this point I don't want to install an mailserver on this machine. As a test I did a command line mail via this smtp mailserver (telnet port 25 etc). This came up with the correct time stamp - so the finger of suspicion is still pointing at retrospect (?)

si

Here's what seems to go on:

When the e-mail notification script is running it gathers information and than executes external application ( SMTP client that is part of Retrospect package ) that communicates with your ISP's SMTP server.

Here's that part:

Quote:

set mailSubject="Retrospect: Execution completed %errMsg%"

echo %lineDelim% >> %stdReport%

echo Script %scriptName% finished %errMsg%. >> %stdReport%

echo %lineDelim% >> %stdReport%

mailsndr %kMailServer% %mailSubject% %kMailSender% -t %kMainGroup%;%kSuccessGroup% -e %mailLog% %stdReport%

mailsndr is the external SMTP client that could be replaced by blat..

computer.gif

Mikee

For example:

current script:

mailsndr %kMailServer% "Retrospect: MediaRequest" %kMailSender% -t %kMediaRequestGroup%;%kMainGroup% -e %mailLog% %tempFile%

blat version:

blat %tempFile% -server %kMailServer% -s "Retrospect: MediaRequest" -f %kMailsender% -t %kMediaReqestGroup%,%kMainGroup% -log %mailLog%

hope that helps,

Mikee

Archived