Incremental backup

Hello,

my configuration as follows: G4/350, G4/450DP (client), and PM 8600 (client). Mac OS 9.2.2 and on a second harddisk Mac OS X.

A LaCie/Quantum DLT1 tape backup device connected via Adaptec 29160 to the G4/350.

Retrospect D1-4.3C, ADK 2.0.104.

I want to backup all three Macs. First backup is around 7-8 GB. Next backup (incremental) around 200-400 MB. First backup on a fresh tape works fine. But if I try the next day to do an incremental backup it fails. In the Retrospect window the only message is: locating. And the tape runs from one end to the other. The whole night. It doesn't matter wheter I do a script or a manual backup. The result is the same: locating. The same happens under Max OS X with Retrospect 5 (preview).

But if I connect my old Sony DAT drive with the same configuration as my new DLT1 drive everything works wonderful.

So my question: does anyone know a solution for me.

Thanks

Thomas

First, confirm that your drive is a supported drive with Retrospect. www.dantz.com/hardware

Does your LaCie/Quantum DLT1 drive require the RDU? Does it require the ADK? If you need either one or the other, and you have both, remove one from your Retrospect folder. Test the backup again.

Is this the only device on the SCSI chain? Have you tried isolating the device? Have you reseated the SCSI cables? Have you tried a new tape? If you let the backup continue to locate, do you get any errors in the log? If so, what?

Hi Zak

thank you for your fast response. 1. My drive is "qualified" in the compatibility list. 2. RDU is only for CD-RW (told me the Dantz technician, not for tape drives), so I only have ADK installed. Without ADK the drive is not recognized by Retrospect. Its the only drive in the chain. I have tried several tapes. I havn't reseat the cable (is this very important, because the first backup is OK, but I will try this). Log message is "error 206" dirty heads, defective media etc. Yesterday I tried to restore only one folder from a snapshot: the same result = locating (error in log file 205 = lost access to media).

By the way: I have had the same problems with an ADR drive connected to my old 8600 with build-in SCSI. So I think, this is really a bug in Retrospect.

Thank you

Thomas

When Retrospect reports an error 206 during an operation, it means the storage device has encountered a media failure. The 200 errors are always storage device generated errors which are reported to the user in an on-screen dialog and an entry in the Retrospect Operations Log.

These errors are usually due to one of the following causes:

1. The media is physically defective and needs to be replaced. Try using a different tape, CD or cartridge.

2. The heads on the tape drive are dirty and need to be cleaned. Consult the manual that came with your tape drive or contact the drive manufacturer for cleaning recommendations.

3. Another device is causing interference. If you have a drive immediately next to another electronic device try moving the devices further apart. Try removing one or more devices temporarily to see if there is some other device conflict. Try using your backup device on another computer to see if interference is caused by your monitor or other nearby electronic devices. Also see "SCSI Issues" in the Retrospect Users Guide.

4. Retrospect can also report error 206 when a crash or power failure interrupts the backup computer or tape drive. Helical scan tape drives such as AIT, DAT, DTF, Exabyte 8mm and AME 8mm require an end of data (EOD) marker on a tape to append data. If a tape does not have an EOD marker Retrospect may report error 206 (media failure) when it next tries to write data to the tape. Tape drives are responsible for writing EOD markers but a drive may not get the chance if you shut down or restart the backup computer or the power is interrupted.

To avoid problems take the following precautions: do not disable the "Verification" option in scripts and immediate operations; let the tape drive fully rewind or eject the tape before you power off or restart the computer; and if the computer crashes try to eject the tape (using the drive's eject button) before restarting or turning off the computer.

When Retrospect reports error 206 on a tape because it lacks an EOD marker that tape is unusable for future appends until you erase it, though it is not physically damaged and you can use it to restore. The tape cannot be repaired with Retrospect's repair tool. To use the tape for additional backups or archives you must first either reset the tape's backup set from Configure>Backup Sets or erase the tape from Configure>Devices.

When the error persists on multiple media and you have eliminated the above possibilities the device may be failing. Contact the vendor.

Hi Zak,

no chance to do an incremental backup. As you told m yesterday, I have reseated the cable, doesn't work. I changed the position of the device, doesn't work. Today I clean the heads with the cleaning tape. Same, same: first backup works fine, incremental fails. Verification was on. I stopped the backup manually and there was a notice on the screen that I have stopped, but the tape runs further on: one second forward and one second rewind. While this happens, I can't quit Retrospect. The only thing I could do is restart. A few weeks before, I sent the drive to the vendor and he told me, everything works fine. I can't understand this. I changed the SCSI card, I changed the terminator, I changed the tapes. The only thing I didn't change til now is the cable. Can it be, that it is damaged? Would then the first backup work?

Thanks

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

If you have changed all factors except the cable and the drive itself, then one of those two are most likely the problem.

What is the exact mechanism of the drive?

What is the pin configuration of the drive? Of the SCSI card?

Have you tried changing SCSI IDs?

Archived