Retro 5.0 for Mac OS X fails on DVD-RAM

Using Retrospect Backup version 5.0.201 on Mac OS 10.1.3, backup to internal DVD-RAM cartridge on a G4 tower:

- Start an Immediate Backup, Retrospect asks for media.

- Insert side A of DVD-RAM cartridge, Retrospect starts the backup.

- Side A of cartridge fills up, Retrospect ejects it and asks for more media.

- I insert side B of DVD-RAM cartridge, it mounts on the Finder desktop, but Retrospect fails to recognise it. I have not been able to get the backup to continue; tried ejecting and reinserting side B, tried reformatting side B with Disk Utility.

This looks like a critical bug to me.

Hello

For what it is worth the Lacie 9.4 (er well it is really 8.3) DVD-RAM firewire works.

I do have some problems with initial formatting of the cartridges and have to erase and format them with Disk Utility before using them with Retrospect. Sometimes I have to format them a couple times beforre they mount.

Bill

1) What is the exact drive, and connection type (please get the exact inquiry string from the Device Status window)?

2) What file system is used to format the disks?

3) Are these erased disks or members of a previous backup set?

4) Have these disks been formatted/erased when under Mac OS X?

Try formatting the disks again while booted under Mac OS X to see if it helps.

This sounds similar to my problem reported in another thread. I know this doesn't make sense, but try repairing the catalog. That always works for me when R can't recognize the media. Also try erasing the new side with Retrospect prior to using it. Name it with the actual name R will use when it writes to that side. I haven't had to do that yet, but it's worth a try.

Archived