Adaptec 29160N and Wide Tape drives

Hi all,

The Dantz SCSI compatibility page for OS X says about the 29160N "System hang when wide tape drives are attached to this card."

Does anyone have any more information on this? Are these random hangs or highly reproducible? At what point should I expect to see them?

I'm asking because I though the Sony tape drive we have is a wide device (SDT-S11000, although Retrospect reports it as SDT-10000, at least in OS 9 (I haven't checked with OS X yet)). However, Retrospect 5 is currently in the middle of a backup of the local hard disk and there hasn't been a hang yet...

The drive is connected to the internal port of the card via an "adaptor" cable which connects to the card and then sits in one of pci slot openings to provide a second external socket with a 68 pin interface (the standard external interface on the 29160N is a 50 pin).

Any insights much appreciated :)

Adrian

I don't know about the Sony drives, but I can tell you that I swapped out a "perfectly good" 2940UW for a "brand spanking new" 29160 card in preparation for moving my Retrospect server to X when 5.0 came out. However, under 9 this didn't work because my Overland LoaderXpress with Benchmark DLT-1 drive would pretty immediately lock up on its first access. When I switched back to the older controller under 9, all of my problems went away.

I've been a long-standing Adaptec fan for years, but the 29160 and 39160 have really disappointed me (my 39160 is giving me trouble with high-speed disk drives under X that has been reproduced by others as well).

So, for the time being, I'm using the 2940UW until I can get my hands on an ATTO or some other SCSI card.

OK, now I'm confused.

The backup phase completed OK without any system hangs. However, the compare phase was a complete disaster with countless "bad backup set header" errors. I thought these were the reason that the Adaptec 29160 was removed from the supported list? I didn't realise there was a problem with the 29160N as well.

(I wonder if I am not seeing the hangs because I'm connecting directly to the LVD part of the card (rather than using an adaptor) but doing that results in the bad backup set header).

Oh, well, I guess I'll move the setup back to the G3 with OS 9 for now...

The irony of this situation is that we bought the Adaptec card to replace an AdvanSys card that was giving us problems in OS 9 and that didn't appear to have any chance of ever having OS X drivers. We chose the Adaptec primarily because of the supposed OS X support! Now the AdvanSys card looks like it would work in OS X but the Adaptec doesn't :(

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Archived