error 530, Backup client not found

marcp

Hi Marc,

I am still having the issue. I have been sitting back, with some humor, watching Dantz dance around this issue. If I, from a command line, do a netstat -a it shows that my backup machine (windows xp) is not listening on port 497. If I do a netstat -a on any other machine that has the client software installed it is listening on port 497. The problem is that the multicast discovery is being blocked on the backup machine. And it's NOT being blocked by a firewall.

I built a new system with Windows XP, no patches, and it works fine. If I patch XP to the latest security patches it no longer works. I am not going to go out of my way to figure out which security patch caused the issue. I think that is Dantz's task. I can say that it started happening, on my system, once I added the msblaster security hotfix.

So Dantz... Take some time and do what I have done above and you will find the issue with your software. As I know the issue is your software and not a hardware issue. Please don't rely on your customers to solve your software issues. This is becoming the norm now a days in the software industry. (I am a computer consultant in the software industry.)

Thanks,

Doug Brock

Marc, I feel your pain.

I've been living with intermittant 530 problems for a long time. My frustrating thread here may still be around unless it's scrolled by now. In my case, I back up 2 XP Pro notebooks across a LAN to an XP Pro desktop. LAN works flawlessly except for RS 6.5. Still have the problem many months later; I've given up. I bet you will, too.

In my case, the problem seems to happen after the machines have been asleep and then awakened, and lasts until the next restart. This was an acknowledged problem in 6, if I recall, that was supposed to be fixed in 6.5. But a notebook that can't suspend is useless to me, so I live with the problem. One of my clients has one RS6 client machine that backs up reliably, but it's a desktop that never suspends. I even had a red herring of my own in my thread: ZoneAlarm.

I have drawn a 3rd conclusion that I would add to your two: I do not believe the Piton network software is very robust.

Marc,

My apologies for the slow response to your port query post.

I have on many occasions seen cases where all other networking runs beautifully but port 497 fails. Uninstalling the Nic, rebooting the machine and reinstalling the nic fixes things about 80% of the time. With older machines you could reinstall TCP/IP and that would clear things up nicely.

You are correct that the port number is specified in the data packet as it goes across the wire. However the way that data gets passed up through the network drivers and TCP/IP stack is critical for proper data transmission. I suspect that is broken so none of the packets marked for port 497 are getting out or in.

Here are some other things to try:

1)Drop another network card in this machine and see if there is any change.

2)Sign up for a trial version of Retrospect multi server and do a test install. This will allow you to add clients via direct IP rather than multicast. If this works we know something is still redirecting or blocking multicast.

To do this you don't need to reinstall retrospect just move your preference files to another folder and restart retrospect. Then type in the trial code. Your perference files are located at C:\documents and settings\ all users\ application data (hidden)\retrospect\config65.dat and config65.bak

You should still uninstall and reinstall your nic first.

Nate

Hi

We try to troubleshoot the hardware/ Network drivers first because it is simply the most likely cause of a failure. There are a lot of people using Retrospect so we would know almost immediately if an update breaks something or exposes a problem in the client code.

I have a Toshiba laptop here with a plain Jane built-in Realtek NIC. It is running Windows XP sp1 with all of the recent updates from MS. The machine will hybernate and wake up with no negative affect on Retrospect client or Retrospect whatsoever.

The latest updates from MS seem to have re-enabled the firewall on the network connection. However disabling the firewall sorted everything out just fine.

How is this setup different from yours? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network card? Post some details so we can nut this one out smile.gif

Nate

Thanks for your reply, but I invested all the time I can afford to in troubleshooting this problem when I posted previously. I check the forum periodically to see if I can find a solution, and added my 2 cents to this thread because it tracked pretty much the way mine did.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but this is a serious software issue and needs a fix!

I too have this problem and it can be reproduced at will. My laptop runs the client software (6.5.336) and is WinXP with SP1. Machine is Acer223x with NIC Realtek RTL8139

After booting the laptop the client connects successfully. Stand by or hibernate the laptop and restart it and -530 error happens without fail and netstat -a shows laptop is not listening on port 497. Use the WinXP Services panel to stop and restart the Retrospect client and hey presto all is well again.

This is patently not a hardware or network issue.

Given that many laptop users hibernate their machines in preference to shutting them down, this is a serious defect in the Dantz product.

• 2 weeks later...

Dantz is aware that the client is not correctly "waking up" after laptops have been sleeping. The solution is to either restart the computer or start and stop the client service.

Our engineers are working on a fix for this problem, a release date is not yet known.

I have the same problem using 5.6 for windows. Set up backup client on NT Server 4.0 works ok for a few days, then the client stops being accessable from Retrospect.

To fix it, I must go into services stop and restart the client. Then it works for a few more days. This is on a Server that basically sits on all the time, no changes.

Jon Baum

Workaround that I am now using is to set up a .bat file containing:

net stop "Retrospect Client"

net start "Retrospect Client"

then use Windows Scheduled Tasks to run this 15 minutes before the backup is due to start.

Archived