error 530, Backup client not found

marcp

Hello,

We are running 6.5 on a small office network (peer to peer ) with 3 clients. We backup to removable hard drives, with a recycle followed by 5 days incremental. For the last week or so none of the clients has been backed up. We get a 530 backup client not found error on every machine every night. During the day it seems to be able to see them just fine. I've confirmed that no scheduled activities are occurring at that time which could cause the clients not to respond.

Any ideas anyone??

thanks

Marc Pelletier

Goldak Exploration

I can ping the other machines at any time and browse them through the explorer. But retrospect no longer sees them. I went into the backup client manager and told it to forget one of the machines then tried to add it back in, but it wasn't able to find any clients. Next I went into the test function and entered the ip address of a machine with the client installed. It then found the machine and displayed the client info, but still wasn't able to see it in the main add dialog.

Marc Pelletier

Goldak Exploration

Are the machines going to sleep or any kind of hibernation mode? In regard to Retrospect 2pm is no different then 2am. If the machines can be seen during the day but not at night, something in the computer configuration is changing.

Make sure the machines are not going to sleep

Check the lease time-out if they are DHCP

What changes on the client machine between the night and the next day when they can be seen? Is the computer rebooted? Woken up?

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my last post. What I've found is that Retrospect just can't see those clients, period. It's not a networking issue because at the same time Retrospect can't see them, windows explorer can. But, interestingly, the test function can see the client when directed to a specific ip.

Marc

I hope this doesn't appear twice. I posted earlier but it hasn't showed up.

Our network consists of 5 machines behind a router ( which has a firewall ). Nothing has been intentionally changed in the network configuration since we were able to make client backups ( about 8 days ago ).

All of the machines are running xp, and are wide open to each other. As I said earlier, normal networking between the machines is still working perfectly.

thanks

Marc

Hi

Because this happens on all of your clients I suspect the problem is on the BU server.

As a test can you move Retrospect to another one of your computers? That will help us pinpoint if the problem is network related or just the backup machine.

Can you uninstall and reinstall the NIC on the backup machine? Maybe the drivers are a bit flaky

Another wild idea - for one night schedule Retrospect to run incremental backups every hour. Make sure the script is running properly before you leave at night. The following morning look at the log and see if you can trace the failure to any particular point in time.

Nate

I just installed Retrospect on another machine and I am able to see other clients, and back them up, from there So it must be configuration on the backup machine somehow. What should I look for? To summarize, networking from that machine is fine, and in Clients|Add|Test I am able to see the clients, however nothing shows up in the Clients|Add dialog.

The time of day thing is a red herring. As I mentioned earlier, I can NEVER see the clients from that machine. I originally interpreted the problem as a networking issue, and reported that networking was fine between those machines during the day. I didn't actually try and see the clients at that time. My bad.

Marc Pelletier

Whew!

I'm glad that time of day thing is sorted. That would have been a really tough one to explain.

I would uninstall and reinstall the NIC on the machine or even try another one for that matter. The other most likely problem is a firewall blocking port 497.

Do you access a VPN on that machine? Do you have internet connection sharing setup? Are all of the machines in the same subnet?

Thanks

Nate

Well, I went digging around on that machine, disabling other services until it worked. The culprit was APC Powerchute, but on my machine, where Retrospect can see the clients, Powerchute is also installed!

Now, with that disabled I am able to do a backup of a client, but I can't leave it disabled indefinately. I've requested info from APC whether they actually use 497, in case this is another red herring. Once I've got another full backup in the can I will do some more tests, reenabling that service and such.

What is this piton multicast stuff all about? Any way to configure it differently? I don't want to have to choose between UPS and backup!

cheers

Marc Pelletier

Goldak exploration

I also have this problem. The problem started when I patched my Windows XP systems on my home network. I can not find any of the clients on my network since applying microsoft security patches a couple of weeks ago. I have not narrowed it down to what patch caused the problem but I am confident that this is the problem. My backups have been successful for about six months before applying the patches. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Doug

Hi

Usually the OS kernel chooses the interface used to accept/respond to multicast packets. In your case it sounds like APC Powechute is changing how the OS decides to route multicast.

I suspect that the APC Powerchute software is acting as a network interface of sorts. That interface may be taking priority over your NIC as the default interface. As a result the multicast packets are getting routed to the UPS instead of your network card.

As far as configuring it...well, you are stuck as far as I know. On a linux machine you can force these things but I don't know about windows. I would try rearranging PCI cards or serial connections to see if it will cooperate. The goal being setting the NIC as the primary network interface. I doubt APS does anything with port 497.

Nate

I've mentioned this before - THERES NO FIREWALL. Everything is behind a router/firewall, but wide open to each other.

APC is still off and it happened again last night. So that wasn't the problem.

Does anyone know how to test various ports?

thanks

Marc

We are using xp pro and home but the internet connection firewall is disabled. If there some other firewalling going on by default, please enlighten me. I would love to know.

The other user mentioned problems related to a windows update. There were a flurry of updates a few weeks ago, and now I suspect that may be the root cause as well. But in that case I would expect more users to be experiencing the problem. However, as I've mentioned before my machine runs retrospect without a hitch, and has a nearly identical software setup. It is xp home, though.

I highly doubt it is a hardware problem as the machine in question is in use as a file server/ data processing machine and we have not seen any networking issues, despite probably hundreds of megs of data transfer most days. I only have limited access to that machine, and can't take it down for extended periods.

Marc

okay, now we are getting somewhere!

All of the clients are listening on tcp and listening or filtered on udp for port 497. The server is not. I tested every connection from multiple computers. I think that means that the clients are doing their job, and the network is fine.

Now what?

Marc

I have had trouble with Retrospect Single Server 'seeing' a client which had two NIC cards installed in it.

Windows NETBUI was working fine. One NIC - Cable Modem, Other NIC - Internal Network.

Add client showed the client name with light gray type but it gave a 530 error. The client was running

Client version 6.0.

I solved the problem by swapping the NIC card order in the PCI slots, removing the cards in the

Windows 98 Control Panel Network, rediscovering the NIC Cards, and Setting up the TCP/IP addresses for

the Internal Network.

Evidently, the Retrospect Client Software must be looking for the first NIC card (based on PCI Slot) and does

not lookfor additional NIC cards in other slots

Retrospect Client for Windows 6.0 and earlier will bind to what is considered the "default" NIC by the Windows OS. Retrospect Client 6.5 will broadcast on any available interface.

You can bind Retrospect client 6.0 and earlier to a specific IP, providing it has a static IP, as follows:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27523

Hello,

I am still waiting for some response to the results of testing the ports. Has Retrospect given up on this/me?

It appears that there is a serious problem with retrospect 6.5 on xp. Several people have described the same problem. Is anything being done?

Becoming very cranky again,

Marc

Quote:

All of the clients are listening on tcp and listening or filtered on udp for port 497. The server is not.

The problem you are describing is not one with Retrospect (application or client). The problem is that the server is not listening on Port 497. A port is like a door - if it's closed, nothing can come through. Retrospect does not have the ability to open/close ports. This is the responsibility of the router, firewall, etc.

That you've isolated the problem to a specific machine would indicate that troubleshooting should start on that machine. Other applications using TCP/IP may not be experiencing difficulties, however, they may not be using UDP/multicast either.

Try a crossover cable directly between a client and the server

Reinstall the NIC drivers

Reinstall the TCP/IP protocol

Try a different NIC

Temporarily disable all network adapters (VPN and otherwise)except the one you are using with Retrospect

AmyJ said:

Quote:

The problem is that the server is not listening on Port 497.

The server isn't listening on 497, I agree. I disagree with your other conclusions however.

My understanding is that the port is just part of the data the nic transmits. The OS interprets ports, not the nic. I'll happily admit I don't know much about this though. However since that machine can query on that port, but doesn't respond on it, it seems to me the port must be open. Like you said, if the port was closed, nothing would come through.

Everyone at Dantz seems anxious for the problem to be hardware related, and that's undoubtedly from experience. The problem may indeed be hardware, but I've never heard of a nic failing only on one port, and I can't disrupt my office when all evidence is the network is working properly.

On my machine ( which unfortunately isnt' the backup machine ) Retrospect works properly and can see the other clients. If I use portquery to query this machine with the client service on then it reports that it is listening, if I turn the client service off and leave the other retrospect services on, portquery reports that the machine is not listening.

This leads me to 2 conclusions:

1 - port 497 is a red herring. The server on my machine isn't 'listening' on 497, and it works properly. The backup machine isn't listening on 497 because there is no client on it.

2 - noone at Dantz cares about this problem. The test I just described took about 1 minute, yet you confidently assert in your post that the server should respond on 497! Surely someone in Tech support or development in your shop would know this already.

Doug Brock, in this thread on Sept 19, reported the same problem, and suggested it was related to an xp update. I suspect the same. In both cases backups were successfully running and then stopped suddenly, with no change in networking setup.

Doug, are you still following this thread? Have you got yours working?

Please take me seriously! I've put a lot of effort into this already, and I really don't feel I've got your attention.

Marc Pelletier

Goldak Exploration

Archived