Debian package for the Retrospect client for Linux

Mayoff

==============================================================

Debian Package removed, it was really old.

Talking to one of our engineers, he suggested "Debian or Ubuntu users can use a tool called "alien" to create a debian package from the rpm". This has worked for at least one customer. See newer posts within this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> sudo dpkg -i retroclient_6.5.108-1_i386.deb

Selecting previously deselected package retroclient.

(Reading database ... 35553 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking retroclient (from retroclient_6.5.108-1_i386.deb) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of retroclient:

retroclient depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1); however:

Version of libc6 on system is 2.2.5-11.5.

dpkg: error processing retroclient (--install):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Errors were encountered while processing:

retroclient

>

And according to me, the current STABLE version of libc6 is indeed 2.2.5-11.5.

You are correct.

dpkg -l libc6

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold

| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed

|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)

||/ Name Version Description

+++-====================-====================-==============

ii libc6 2.2.5-11.5 GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone data

I checked and the version in debian "testing" is: libc6 2.3.2-7

I haven't tried the install yet, but this gives me food for thought! doh.gif

Thanks.

Guest psykoyiko

The Debian package works fine on a Debian testing or unstable system. It does not appear that it was packaged for the stable distribution, although with some tinkering, you could probably get it to work.

From my redhat 7.3 system:

[aleja(~)] rpm -qv glibc

glibc-2.2.5-34

It looks like it works fine with that version of glibc, the .deb was just created for the testing distro.

You might even try using alien to convert the redhat rpm to a .deb, and see if that works for you.

Good luck.

Quote:

psykoyiko said:

The Debian package works fine on a Debian testing or unstable system. It does not appear that it was packaged for the stable distribution, although with some tinkering, you could probably get it to work.

The tinkering was just to force the install

dpkg --force-depends --install retroclient_6.5.108-1_i386.deb

Seems to do the trick. At least, the client is running right now for me and backing up. smile.gif

• 1 month later...

This package doesn't seem to work reliably with the latest stable version of Debian. I've tried using the suggested "force" install command, but the result doesn't work. Retrospect server gives up about halfway through backing up the root drive with a network connection error.

Also, when I run dselect, it is always reporting Retrospect as a conflict because it was a forced install. I even accidentally uninstalled it from dselect while making an additional package selection due to the automatic conflict resolution that occurs.

Dantz shouldn't expect that their customers would be using the unstable release of Debian. I would appreciate a package rebuilt for the stable release.

Thank you,

-todd-

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I downloaded this update, and it does install on Debian Stable okay, but it has the same problem I found before. It gets halfway through backing up '/', then multiserver says, "Retrying", then it times out. Later, multiserver tried again, and got thru '/' and '/boot', then crapped out halfway through '/usr'. I suspect, it will eventually get everything after several retries.

• 5 months later...

I recently purchased and installer Retrospect 6.5 and have in installed on my windows xp drive. I recently added another drive and installed Xandros 2.0 which is Debian Linux. My question is how do I get Retrospect to work on the Linux drive? I downloaded and played with the Debian package for Retrospect that is posted here but still cannot get anything to work. Would someone be so kind as to walk me thru the steps of installing the Linux Debian Client.

Thank you very much.

Bill

• 3 months later...

I was very happy to discover this package, unfortunately this package was compiled for i586 architecture. since i use G4/G5 PowerPC, like to know if there is a build for these platforms?

if not, is it possible to get the source and compile it myself?

(and possibly sign an NDA disclosure, since Retrospect is not Open Source Software)

Thanks for your answers!

Tristan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know the Debian Client is unsupported but maybe someone can help me with this install problem:

Code:

# dpkg -i retroclient_6.5.108-1_i386.deb 

Selecting previously deselected package retroclient.

(Reading database ... 63868 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking retroclient (from retroclient_6.5.108-1_i386.deb) ...

Setting up retroclient (6.5.108-1) ...

There is less than 1MB of memory free on /tmp.

Retrospect Client Terminated.

Starting retroclient...There is less than 1MB of memory free on /tmp.

Retrospect Client Terminated.

Done.

I am fairly sure that the machine has more than 1MB free on /tmp. What could be the problem?

Thanks!

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Replying to myself:

I found and installed the updated client retroclient_6.5.108-1-woody0_i386.deb successfully and it seems to be working ok so far (the first backup is currently about 23% though / on the server).

There was one minor error in /usr/lib/dantz/client/rcl though:

The path set using cd should be Code:

/usr/lib/dantz/client

not Code:
/usr/local/dantz/client

Thanks for providing this Debian client!

Mike

• 10 months later...

Well, now I've done it ... I had the Debian Linux client working just great, but after installing 7.5 on the backup server I updated the clients and managed to break it. Before I go mess things up further - is there a procedure for installing/upgrading to the 7.5 client on Debian?

Thanks!

-- Chris

hi chris,

i don't think the debian package was updated for 7.5. you probably updated with the red hat packages, and that's what broke everything. because the debian is not officially supported, i'd stay away from any linux update that doesn't specifically say 'debian' on it.

the 6.5.108 should work fine with 7.5 for your backups. i'm sure any update to the debian client will be posted here.

• 2 months later...

I found the [1] retroclient_6.5.108-1_i386.deb debian client and tried to install it.

Sarge gave up, grumbling about a libglib1.2 issue.

Before I break something trying to fix that.... Is there a newer version [1] of the package I should be trying instead?

1] Unsupported, parentage denied, found on the doorstep swaddled in a blanket of greenbar paper, etc..

hi pe,

i don't think there is a newer version of the Debian package. if there was, i think EMC Insignia typically posts an announcement here.

FWIW->i think that if you can get the libglib issue resolved that this will work for you. others have posted positive results when backing up with 6.5-7.5 using this client.

Archived