Duplicating ASIP drives

I plan on upgrading my main ASIP server to Mac OS X Server and I want to be sure that Retrospect 5 can help me.

As part of the upgrade I will need to reformat my RAID 5 under Mac OS X. I would like to duplicate the RAID volume to a 60GB hard disk before installing Mac OS X, and then copy it back to the reformatted RAID. I want to do this without losing any of my ASIP permissions (I will run the Mac OS X utility for moving from ASIP to Mac Os X).

My Retrospect 5 Server runs under Mac OS X. If I do the Duplicate command, will it be able to retain the ASIP permissions for each folder, or do I need to run Retrospect under Mac OS 9. Also, to retain ASIP permissions does the client need to be running Mac OS 9 or would Mac OS X be OK?

You'll need to use the backup option; not the duplicate. The main reason for this is that your source and destination for a duplicate cannot be on the same volume if you're dealing with a client.

Instead, try installing Retrospect on the ASIP server and doing a local backup to a file backup set stored on the 60 GB hard disk. Reformat, restore (using the bootable CD if possible) and update.

Hope that helps!

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Thanks for the reply. So I should basically backup to a local hard disk. To be sure, I should:

1. Install Retrospect 4.3 on the ASIP server (I have an extra copy, I think).

2. Backup to to a hard disk.

3. Install Mac OS X Server.

4. Reformat hardware RAID with Mac OS X Server, and include Mac OS 9 driver.

5. Reboot under Mac OS 9.

6. Do a restore with Retrospect.

7. Reboot under Mac OS X Server, run migration tool.

If I have Retrospect on the same machine, would there be any advantage to using Duplicate rather than Backup?

My experience with this migration is limited to reading Apple's guidelines, but I think you want to do a full back up, then format, then do a full restore of the OS 9 ASIP server as described in the users guide (basically, restore, establish your share points, then run another restore). Then run the migration tool to go to OS X Server.

There's no particular benefit to doing the backup over the duplicate, but I would STRONGLY advise you to make more than one copy of this data before you format!

Archived