Dell Tape Drive 110T DLT1 On Mac using Retrospect 5.1?

Has anyone successfully used a SCSI Dell PowerVault 110T DLT1 tape drive on a Mac (dual 1.0 GHz "MDD" G4 running Mac OS X v10.2.6, in my case) using Retrospect 5.1?

My Quantum DLT1 just died, and it might be cheaper to buy a new Dell Tape Drive 110T DLT1 from eBay than have it repaired. Unfortunately, Dantz lists the Dell models as "Not Tested" on Mac OS X (and doesn't list the Dell 110T DLT1 model at all, just the DLT4000 and DLT7000 models). My Quantum DLT1 worked perfectly, though (and Dantz lists it as "Qualified"), and I'm guessing the Dell is just a rebadged Quantum model...

Does anyone know for sure? Has anyone tried using the Dell Tape Drive 110T DLT1 on a Mac?

Every other DLT SCSI tape drive (other than the Dell models) are list as "Qualified" for Mac OS, so I'm guessing that this will work, but is it worth risking $500 on that guess?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Daryl. We use exactly that loader. It's a clone of the ADIC FastStor 7 loader. It works great with 5.0 or 5.1. However, we have just mothballed it, since our storage now greatly exceeds the good 'ol 110T, and we upgraded to a 132T (SuperDLT 320), which hasn't so much as used 4 out of 20 tapes!

FYI, we use it on a PowerMac G4 Server (basically a QuickSilver running X Server). Since this is a HIGH VOLTAGE DIFFERENTIAL (e.g. "plain old differential" - NOT LVD), you need a DIFF card. We use the ATTO ExpressPCI PSCd, which unfortunately has been discontinued. We bought it direct from ATTO, as most places don't stock them. No reason it wouldn't work with an Adaptec or Qlogic HBA, however. Note that Dell typically includes a card, but these are usually Intel-only (no Mac drivers).

I wholeheartedly recommend Dell's "PowerVault" line of autoloaders. They're typically rebadged versions of respectable loaders (often ADIC), but Dell's support is superb. One of our two 110Ts broke a belt pulley and Dell shipped a replacement drive by 10a.m. the following morning, with prepaid shipping for the broken unit. Add to the fact that this drive was already cheaper than ADIC units available just about anywhere else.

Good luck!

Charles

they show up in apple profiler as a benchmark dlt1 drive, and retrospect recognizes it as such sometimes. other times it sees the drive and insists that it is an sait (an won't read the media). Other times it recognizes the media but causes a strange screen of death of the likes i've not ever seen (a grey translucent veil comes down the screen and it tells me i have to power down the machine by holding the power button). I'm going to try moving the drive to a windows machine and flashing the firmware with the update from the quantum site. perhaps that's the ticket to making this thing right.

This is a Dell powervault 110T DLT1 internal drive I've bought from an e-bay seller. It's in a third party external case, and I am running retrospect 5.1 desktop on osx 10.2.6

• 4 weeks later...

Well it certainly seems that results are mixed. Luckily my Quantum DLT1 was under warranty and repaired quickly (and for free) by Quantum. So, I won't be needing to buy a replacement after all.

If I do get a PowerVault in the future I'll be sure to make certain that it isn't HVD as my SCSI cards are all LVD. Thanks for this tip!

Archived