Full Restore: 2 Issues

The 48 GB hard drive in my 3-month old TiBook 667 with 1 GB ram decided to fail.

Once I got the drive replaced, reinstalled OS X 10.1.2, and reinstalled the Retrospect 5 client, I was ready to restore the hard drive from the backup server.

The good news is that the restore appeared to work properly. After I restarted the client, it came up just as before I replaced the hard drive, complete with icons where they belong.

Now the bad news.

When I run Retrospect to back up the client, Retrospect complains about its connection to the client. (Sorry, I didn't capture the precise error number.) The solution was to delete the client from Retrospect's logged-in client list, and re-add. This shouldn't be necessary!

But far worse was trying to run an "Immediate Backup" to the same backup set from which I just restored the hard drive. Retrospect wants to copy nearly the entire hard drive *back to* the backup set! That's nearly 40 GB, and will take hours!

I hope this is a simple "operator headspace problem", and I can coax Retrospect to recognize that only a few MB of files really need to be backed up.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-- Jim

I think I solved the problem.

Retrospect's "matching" options were set to:

* match source files to catalog

* don't add duplicates to backup set

* match only same location

I'm not sure how the last item got set, but that was clearly responsible for Retrospect thinking it had to back up nearly everything. When I un-checked this, things seem to have gotten back to normal! :-)

The question still remains, why does Retrospect not recognize the client that was recently restored from a Retrospect backup?

Enjoy!

-- Jim

...on the other hand, Retrospect *still* thinks it needs to back up > 2 GB.

I can't imagine why, when I just restored the entire hard drive a day ago.

As I look through the preview browser, I notice many, many files that were "selected" for backup but not "matched" to the backup set, which have fairly old modification dates. Any thoughts as to why such files would not be matched to the backup set that was *just used* to restore them?

Enjoy!

-- Jim

Retrospect uses several matching criteria to compare files that have already been backed up to what is about to be backed up. If one of the following has been changed at all, Retrospect will back up the file again: name, size, type, creator, creation date and time, modify date and time, and label.

If Retrospect is reporting that it is about to back up files you know have not changed since your last backup, take a closer look at a sample file. Choose a file and start a restore by search for that file. When you get to the final window (you don't actually have to do the restore), click Files Chosen and Get Info (type Command-I) on the most recent version of the file on the backup. Print or take a screenshot of this window.

Now, go to the Configure tab from the Retrospect Directory and click Volumes. Choose the volume the file is on and click Browse. Find the file in question and Get Info on it. Put the two windows side by side and look for even the slightest difference in any of the criteria I listed above.

Many things can cause a change in a file, even if the file has not been accessed by the user. The operating system, as well as applications, are constantly making changes to files. Further, whenever you change time zones in the Date & Time control panel, your creation and modify dates are offset. We have also found an issue with some HFS+ formatted volumes where changing the Daylight Savings Time setting offsets the creation and modify dates of all files.

There is also an issue where AppleShare might make a time translation when connecting to another machine whose time is off by more than a certain number of minutes. This time translation would also offset the creation and modify dates of all files. I have also seen this happen when upgrading operating systems or doing a complete restore of data with Retrospect.

Unfortunately the only known way around this problem is to do a full backup of your data. I know of no way to force file attributes to regress to the way they were before. Either do a full backup or use this time to introduce new media.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived