Sign in to follow this  
bmtndog@mac.com

I'd like to back up my mySQL databases, how?

I'd like to backup my mySQL databases which are stored at:

/usr/local/mysql/data

On a Mac running OSX. However, I cannot figure out how to add this directory as a subvolume. I try typing it in directly using "New" in the subvolume definition dialog, but then if I browse, I don't see any files. So, I don't think that works.

How can I define this "hidden" subvolume so that I can back it up along with the data in my home directory?

Rick

Quote:

I cannot figure out how to add this directory as a subvolume. I try typing it in directly using "New" in the subvolume definition dialog, but then if I browse, I don't see any files.

Since you wouldn't use a "New" button to do this, please confirm the exact steps you are taking. They should be:

- Configure -> Volumes

- Select your hard drive and click "subvolumes"

- Navagite to /usr/local/mysql/data/

- Click "Define"

- Click "Browse"

If the Browser window does not show any files in this directory (after clicking on the disclosure triangle to pop-open its contents, if necessary) use the terminal to confirm that this directory is in fact populated.

Another thing to try:

- Define /usr/local/ instead, and browse its contents to see how far down the tree you can go and see files

Isn't it wise to set up a cron job to make backups of the open databases? Backing up "live" databases could possibly yield DBs marked as "crashed" and require "repair."

Has anybody done this?