VXA media capacity

Hi,

I'm using a VXA drive with Exabyte V17 (170m) tapes and the Retrospect 5.1 update. The backup set configuration indicates the capacity of the tapes at 2.0gb but indicates (at the moment) that the tapes contain 14.2gb of data and nearly 80,000 files. I assume that's from hardware and/or software compression. I'm trying to estimate the capacity of the tapes (in order to plan my backup budget to purchase more tapes). Is there a way to estimate the capacity on these tapes when I'm using compression?

Thanks,

Blinky.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2 gig display is meaningless. Retrospect's documentation states that it cannot predict tape capacity, since it is a linear medium. In 4.3, under Configure Backup Sets Options, you can enter your estimated capacity for display purposes. However, I don't think there is a way to set that for *all* tapes of any given type.

The V17 supposedly holds 20 gigs uncompressed, and I've never known one to hold less, although theoretically it is possible. With compression, I usually get in the 35g - 42g range. Results vary with the type of files, of course.

Look up CAPACITY - TAPES in your Retrospect manual for more info.

Archived