Error -523 while backing up mailbox

I'm getting this error message in the log while backing up a mailbox in Exchange:

- 8/12/2003 12:21:36 AM: Copying Kramer, Jim A. on server1

T-711: PtSend: cmd MbeF/msg RdBg: byte count 1945 exceeds maximum of 1024

Trouble reading files, error -523 (service transaction error)

8/12/2003 12:25:06 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1514 files, 76.2 MB

Completed: 21 files, 14.4 MB, with 51% compression

Performance: 22.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:03:30 (00:02:52 idle/loading/preparing)

Any ideas on what's causing it?

I ran another backup on just this mailbox and got a slightly different error message:

- 8/12/2003 3:22:16 PM: Copying Kramer, Jim A. on server1

8/12/2003 3:22:16 PM: Connected to server1

T-9: PtSend: cmd MbeF/msg RdBg: byte count 1945 exceeds maximum of 1024

Trouble reading files, error -523 (service transaction error)

8/12/2003 3:36:14 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 1577 files, 77.4 MB

Completed: 4548 files, 112.1 MB, with 42% compression

Performance: 8.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:13:57

What do the T-711 and T-9 indicate? Are they error codes?

Does the fact that the error occurred at a different place in the mailbox (more files completed this time) indicate that it's not related to a specific message in the mailbox?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi

Are you backing the exchange server up as a client? If so try a test backup locally to see if the error comes back.

My hunch is that this has something to do with network communication. Is this an NT4 machine? Can you reinstall the NIC or try using another one?

Nate

Here's some more information about our configuration:

Retrospect (6.5.319) is running on a Windows 2003 Server.

Exchange 2000 is running on a Windows 2000 Server, with the Retrospect client (6.5.131).

I would tend to rule out a lower level networking problem because dozens of other mailboxes and GBs of other data are getting backed up (with Retrospect and NTBackup) without a problem. Both servers also handle lots of other network traffic throughout the day and have been working fine.

Hi

With the invaluable help of another user I think we have figured this one out. I have not confirmed all of this but it seems to make sense.

In the mailbox that is not being backed up you will likely find a spam message that has an extremely long subject line - close to 1023 characters. It may consist of mostly spaces and the string "TIGER WOODS!". My hunch is that when Retrospect backs up individual mailboxes it has to treat the subject line of each message as a file name and append a ".3" file extension to the name. Appending this extension makes the file name too long/ invalid and causes the individual mailbox backup to fail.

The 527 error would normally indicate a network issue. However in this case I think Retrospect is reporting its inability to access the invalid file name as a (network) communication failure.

I suspect backing up the entire exchange database works fine?

Nate

Archived