TRUE Mac & PC interoperability

If Macs could access backup sets created by PC Workgroup (or vice versa) I'd call Retrospect perfect.

Right now a PC running Workgroup backs up all the Macs and PCs on our small network and works just fine for this. The problem is that when Mac users need access to an old backed up file (this happens fairly often) they have to come to me, have me locate the file and back it up to their machines. If they could extract the files directly to their machines without leaving their work areas or using a 2nd computer it would greatly speed up and improve the overall backup scenario. Otherwise it entails having to buy another Mac to function as the backup machine (Macs are expensive, especially considering that we already have a PC server) and having to buy the Mac version of Retrospect (and eat the $$ already spent on the PC version). This also assumes that I could install Workgroup on each of the desktop Macs for this purpose without having to purchase a new copy for each machine (way to much $$ for such a simple usage). If the Macs could read the data sets created by and stored on the PC it would be worth it to us to get the Mac version of Retrospect.

Any chance this will ever be possible?

In fact it is difficult to understand why the PC version formats data written to the tape in a different way than the Mac program developed by the same vendor.

Now that all major back-vendors on the PC have agreed on a common tape format (MTF) is there any chance Retrospect (Mac & PC version) will adapt it or maybe support reading such tapes ?

Archived