-1017 (insufficient permissions) and -106 (data overwrite attempt) in 6.5

I am using Retrospect 6.5 on Win2K.

I backup 100+ Mac clients to fiber attached RAIDs.

The Retrospect preferneces are set to "Always run Retrospect as the specified user"

The Retrospect Launcher Service is set to log on as the same user.

I have verified the permissions for the backup sets on the RAIDs and the catalogs on the C drive are open to everyone. However, I still get errors like this:

Can't save Snapshot in Backup Set A-Group4, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Can't save Catalog File, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

I am also getting -106 (data overwrite attempt) errors. This error usually pertains to tapes. I am backing up to Fiber RAID. This error usually shows up around the same time as the -1017 error.

Can't write to file F:\Retrospect\Backup Set A-Group4\2-Backup Set A-Group4\AA000688.rdb, error -1023 (already exists)

Trouble writing: "2-Backup Set A-Group4" (819482624), error -106 (data overwrite attempt)

The backups will go fine for a while and then I get one of these errors and it hangs that backup set stream.

Any help would be great!

Hi

First off, Change the laucher service back to default settings. The "run as specified user" feature has eliminated the need to edit the launcher service manually.

It looks like the 1017 errors are happeing on the backup catalog files themselves and not the computers on the network. I suspect that the Fiber RAID is having some buffering issues as it writes the data. Not to say that your RAID is broken or anything, it just looks like the catalog has been locked by a write operation so a subsequent write option fails as well. Same thing for the backup data files. As a test can you try keeping the catalogs on another disk and just leaving the data portion of the backup on the RAID?

Nate

The catalogs are on the C drive. Not on the RAID.

I have changed the service back and forth between running as the system and running as the specified user. This does not seem to make a difference. Right now it is running as the system.

The only thing I could even think of is the Local Administrator name was changed. However, I use the current name in the "run as specified user" feature.

Because -1017 is always accompanied by the -10 error it makes me think it might be I/O problems.

Hi

Sorry for not being more clear about this:

You should not even need to change the specified user option at all. The permissions errors are happening on local files which aren't affected by that setting.

I agree- it has to be something with I/O. Is any kind of RAID optimization software running when the backup runs? How about saving the catalog on the RAID instead of the C drive? Maybe going between the two busses is causing the problem

Nate

Archived