Too much data on backup set?!

Hi,

I'm currently using Retrospect 6.5 single server to backup our computers in our department. Our setup consists of a Windows 2000 PC as a server and the server backs up the other computers over the network and onto DVD. We have a range of computers here and they vary anywhere from Windows 95 - 2000 operating systems to Mac OS. The versions of Mac OS we have here are between 7.5 and 9.0.

We have just run into a hurdle with one of our Macs. It is an iMac and it is running Mac OS 9.0. The client version it has loaded is the one that comes with the Retrospect 6.5 install disc. From the server (the windows 2000 one), we can see the iMac client. We can set everything up for backing up. But just before it starts to backup, the server will give off a "ding" sound and then tell you that the backup failed. If the log report is checked, it gives the following message:

"Can't add that much data to backup set. (Limited to 576G.)"

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong here? I can back up all the other computers without any problems. And the 576G part of the message just has me confused and puzzled. I have used up quite a few DVDs here in backing up all the computers in the department, but if you add up all the data from the DVDs, you would still not get anywhere near the 576G the message is refering to. (Or atleast I think that is what it is refering to.)

Any hints, ideas, solutions would be greatly appreciated.

What is the largest single file on the OS 9 system. Is it over 1 GB? I think I remember hearing that 9.0 may have a file size limit for copying over the network (or I could be thinking of something else).

What is the backup destination?

• 3 weeks later...

The problem might actually be on the client side... and as you asked for wild guesses, here are some:

- boot the iMac from it's OS 9 CD and examine the hard drive with Disk First Aid

- upgrade to 9.1 (I never trusted 9.0)

- get a system tool like Disk Warrior and rebuild the volume structure

good luck smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly enough I received the same 576 GB message last night. The concerned machine is a Mac running OS X; the concerned drive is one that had failed before - difficult to mount, volume structure getting corrupt, and so on. Seems like the drive is reporting an insanely high amount of data due to being corrupt.

I'll move all data off the drive and turn it in for replacement immediately.

cheers

powermeck

Archived