Retrospect 5 crashing ASIP

I just upgraded to Retrospect 5 on one of my AppleShare IP servers, (running Mac OS 9.1). Every other time that I launch Retrospect now, I crash. I have run DiskWarrior and Disk First Aid on the volumes--everything is OK. This didn't happen before Retro 5. Is this a known bug with Retro 5 and older servers? Do I have an extension conflict of some kind? The server never used to crash. It's now crashed 4 times in the past 24 hours. What gives? Am I alone out there?

Hi,

What kind of crash? Does Retrospect produce as assert log? Does it give an error? Does it bring the whole server down?

Have you been able to test with minimal extensions? If not I'd be interested in seeing if it reproduces.

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

No, Neil, you are not alone. I have experienced frequent freezes of my ASIP 6.3.3 server (and other machines) when running Retrospect 5 (both the Preview and released Server versions). I tested it twice today and it did the same thing both times. Here's what happens:

1) A number of files are backed up (the number varies each time before the problem occurs).

2) The ASIP server displays "The Finder has unexpectedly quit", etc. Often this will cause the server system to freeze.

3) Retrospect immediately drops into "Net Retry" mode, but it's hopeless...the server is no longer responding.

I also had the same thing happen today on my own machine during a backup, so it doesn't seem to be specifically related to AppleShare. The ASIP server is on OS 9.1; my computer is running 9.2.2.

I also get a number of "error 1 (unknown)" messages during the ASIP backup. I have run ASIP First Aid and Norton Disk Doctor to check for problems, are there don't seem to be any.

This is getting pretty frustrating, as I have to get the first person in the office each day to reset the AppleShare server.

I don't even get that far. I double click on the app to launch it, and the mac freezes. Either an immediate hard freeze, or it looks like it is launching (Retrospect appears in the menu bar) but nothing else happens, and you can't force quit it. After a reboot retro runs fine. Then if I try and get back into it in a couple of hours, same crash.

I am experiencing the same problem. I have two AppleShare IP 6.3.2/MacOS 9.0.4 servers that are locking up during backups. On server #1, communication is established and the Retrospect log reports a long list of lines like this:

Can't read file “california state univ.”, error 1 (unknown), path: “Nat Sci Admin/share points/Earth Sciences/Donna Della Corte/DES AHR/lect appts/unit 18 misc./college addresses/part A/california state univ.”.

The ASIP server eventually crashes and the Retro log contains:

Trouble reading files, error 519 (network communication failed).

On server #2 I came in the morning to find the Retro server trying to talk to ASIP #2. I cancelled the script and the log contains:

Can't read file “Icon?”, error 1 (unknown), path: “NSBO/Icon?”.

Trouble reading files, error -24001 (user canceled).

I was backing up these servers with an identical script on 4.3.

We have the same random issue on 2 ASIP servers with VXA tape drives and Apple bundled Adaptec cards . One is running 6.3.2 on 9.04 and the other is 6.3.3 on 9.1. They were virtually flawless under 4.3. Backups are at least 30% slower if they run at all.

The freeze at launch affects other programs as well. Did not notice this since the servers don't usually run other apps. I have had it with script editor and the Retro 5 updater that was released recently.

I sure hope Dantz can figure out what the issue is. Is anyone seeing this on non-ASIP boxes running the Retro 5 or is it just ASIP servers? or just VXA drives?

Tim

I've tried to repeat it a number of times and it seems to have stopped. The ONLY thing I've done differently is removed my Firewire RAID from BU scripts...(that's crashing on every attempted BU) Makes no sense.

I'm VERY MUCH hoping for a resolution as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I get frequent crashes also. First from the installer and the updaters and then every version of 5 that I have launched.

After the first few attempts I gave up for a week or so, and then Retrospect launched with no problem, but I still get intermitent crashes on launch.

I have an 8500 running 9.0.4, CarbonLib 1.5, AppleShare IP 6.3.x and numerous other server apps.

Macsbug will not let me log (freezes), but I can get a stack crawl

Bus Error at FFC78E70 vGoDriver+0B00

while reading byte from 47380E1A

sc

calling chain using A6/R1 links

ThreadEntryPoint+0044

OSThread::_Entry(OSThread*)+00F8

HFSServerThread::Entry()+00F8

HFSRequest::DoRequest()+00F8

HFSRequest::Open(int)+00250

MacOS::PBCall(...)+00140

PBHOpenAsyncGlue+00014

PBHOpenAsync+00028

EmToNatEndMove+00014

release_fragment+01570

EmToNatMoveParams+00014

_InvalMenuBar+2A6

_vGoDriver+1326

This is the only time I've transcribed this, but it always crashes at _vGoDriver

Of course this always ends with a reboot.

Rand Arnold

A couple of weeks ago tkamps noticed:

The freeze at launch affects other programs as well. Did not notice this since the servers don't usually run other apps. I have had it with script editor and the Retro 5 updater that was released recently

So Apple's own Script Editor will crash the machine when it's launched?

And I've seen it with BBEdit, when I launch it by double-clicking an alias I made on the Desktop.

And Macsbug looks the same with the BBEdit crash as it does when Retrospect crashed (most of it is gibberish to me, but some of it is identical).

This sounds like an ASIP issue for sure, that perhaps Retrospect is falling into.

::shrug::

Dave

I also have had a freezing problem from day 1 of installing Retrospect 5 (angering users as I innocently launch Retrospect to check settings and the server totally freezes, knocking them off).

This is the pattern:

When you start up Retrospect, it freezes with "Retrospect" in the menu bar. When you reboot the server, usually I can launch Retrospect just fine. When it got to this state one of the times it happeneed, I tested it by launching and quitting Retrospect about 10 times to see if it would freeze again. It was fine. However, a while later (like another said, a couple hours or more), I launched it again to change some settings and it froze as above with "Retrospect" in the menu bar. As other people have mentioned, it happens to me every other time Retrospect is launched, whether I launch it manually or it launches itself (example: I get it to launch OK, I check it over, quit it, then come to find the server locked on retrospect trying to launch the next day).

We have OS 9.0.4, CarbonLib 1.5, and AppleShare IP 6.3.1 (as provided with Retrospect 5) on a G4 Server with AGP Graphics.

System Profiler shows:

Slot A: ATI Rage Pro 128 (16MB)

Slot B: Adaptec 2930CU (4.2 ROM)

Slot D: ATTO Express PCI Pro UL2 (1.4.3f1 ROM)

Strangely, it lists Slot D twice with precisely the same information.

This was purchased as a server from Apple and left stock except for adding a 9GB Seagate SCSI hard drive which was from the old server for ease in moving files. I think it has two SCSI cards because we had Apple add one because we didn't know it would come with one already.

It ran nearly flawless as a file server with Retrospect 4.3. We have an external HP DAT DDS-3 tape drive (complete package by HP, not third party drive case). There is nothing else that runs on this server except AppleShare IP (mail, print, and web servers disabled). We have kept it at OS 9.0.4 as shipped.

I hope Dantz gets this major bug figured out real soon, as we want our OS X clients to be backed up using the Retrospect clients.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

We’ve seen a similar problem. Our ASIP 6.3.3 server crashed the last two nights and I’ve noticed the following errors appear in the log (with different file and folder names of course):

Can’t read file “File”, error 1 (unknown), path: “Folder:File”

When the server has crashed, the clock on the server shows that it coincided with this error. Often, several hundred files show this error before it crashes.

If anyone figures out a solution to this problem, I’d be very happy to hear it!

Here’s the info about our setup:

Backup Server:

Retrospect Server 5.0.238 running on a PowerMac G4 Dual 450MHz with 512MB RAM with Mac OS 9.2.2

VXA-1 SCSI tape backup

Apple Bundled Ultra2-Wide SCSI card

ASIP Server:

ASIP 6.3.3 running on a PowerMac G4 Dual 450MHz with 1GB RAM and Mac OS 9.1

Thanks,

-Aaron

• 1 month later...

Archived