Would like a detailed explaination on how to create a 2 week backup rotation

srfrdrew

Amy or any Dantz Tech out there!,

Regarding the 10 backup sets... It does not make sense to me as when you go through the easy script, it only allows for "Five backup sets, one for each Monday through Friday." I am confused as to where I expand this strategy to use 10 backup sets that you suggested could be done in this posting.

Is there a way I can get a detailed explaination to create a 2 week backup rotation. IE:

1.) How do I create 10 backup sets from the Easy Script? and/or from "Managed Scripts"

2.) When scheduling, how and where do I stagger the start dates so that week 1 starts the same week as week 2 starts the following week?

3.) Where do I change the value in the "Weeks" box to 2 - indicating every two weeks?

I have built a two week rotation using the "Managed Scritps" option where I built the rotation from scratch, but it has been a while since I've done this and I cannot remember the exact procedures to do it. Can you please send me or explain one and/or both ways in detail as it really is not straight forward in version 6.0 for implementing a 2 week tape rotation. A prompt response would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Andrew

Easy script is not configurable beyond the basic options. To make a more complex script, you can either a) edit your existing Easy Script script or B) create a new script. Both of these options can be found in Automate > Manage Scripts (or Automate > Scripts with 6.0 and earlier).

The link to the following tutorial will walk you through manually creating a 5 day rotation script (without Easy Script).

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27433

The differences in your configuration are as follows:

You'll create 10 backup set destinations instead of 5

You'll create 10 schedules instead of 5

- When creating each schedule, use 2 in the "Weeks" box rather then 1 for every other week

- Be sure to stagger the "Start" dates of each schedule appropriately. For example, both Monday sets cannot start on the same Monday, they must start on consecutive Mondays.

When you've completed the script, you can go to Activity Monitor > Scheduled (or Automate > Preview with 6.0 and earlier) and look to see if your schedules look correct.

Archived