client notification does not pop up any notification

Hi! I was backing up a client running in Windows 2000 and set it to be backed up as early as possible, and checked all the notification buttons under preferences wherein I will be notified after the backup, if it's not backed up after n days, and if it has S.M.A.R.T errors. It was backed up successfully with a proactive backup script several times on different days but no notification is showing up, nothing at all. What's wrong? Are there other settings I need to do? I don't want to use email notification, but just the notification after backup options. What should I do to make it work and pop me some info after a backup job?

Thanks a bunch.

Quote:

keli said:

I am using the client version 6.0 and yes, I tried installing it to other clients, and uninstalling/rebooting/installing it anew in the other workstation and same error happened. Is it a buggy client or what's wrong?

What error? Your initial post indicated that nothing was happening, not that there was an error message.

None of the workstations are notifying the user that a backup was done?

Ups, sorry. What I meant with "same error happened" is that "same thing as before wherein nothing popped up, no notifications at all".

Yes, even with other workstations (Windows 2000), no notifications, pop ups show up after a client was completely backed up or when it failed. So the only way of knowing the client was backed up is to go to the log and check its details and checking the media that the files from the client were backed up and are there in the media complete with the current date.

Hi! We changed to Retrospect 6.5 last week and exhausted testing the server and client versions. However, we still have problems with the notification. There are no notifications that pop up even after checking all options under the client preferences so that we will be informed when a job is completed or when no job occurred. Why still no notifications at all? What are we doing wrong?

Any help and insight would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)

I ran some tests today and was not able to reproduce this problem with 6.5.131 client software. I got an alert at 9:00AM that no backup had taken place in X days.

I also got alerts after the backup completed.

Is the "history" in the client control panel getting updated?

No, the history of the client in the control panel is not getting updated at all. But when I check the media Properties/Snapshots, I can see that the files in the client machine are backed up because snapshots of the files I wanted to back up from the clients are there. It's strange, but maybe there are settings that needs to be done that I just know of nor read about?

Try a clean install of a 6.5 client (uninstall /reboot / reinstall). You'll have to log this client in again and add it to your scripts. Don't change any preferences in the client control panel. Do an immediate backup of the client machine and check to see if the notfication box appears.

Are the machines logged in or out during backup?

Hi Amy!

--------------------------------

QUOTE: Try a clean install of a 6.5 client (uninstall /reboot / reinstall). You'll have to log this client in again and add it to your scripts. Don't change any preferences in the client control panel. Do an immediate backup of the client machine and check to see if the notfication box appears.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a clean install of the Retrospect multiserver and the client and didn't change any preferences and did an immediate backup of the client. I still don't have notification popups.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE: Are the machines logged in or out during backup?

---------------------------------------------------------------

No the machines are logged on steadily during backup.

However, I am doing all this administration to remote machines (10000 Kms away from my desktop). Could that possibly be the reason I see no popups on this remote client?

Anyway, I'll find out soon if this is the case. Somebody will test this problem on-site tomorrow and inform me if there are popup notifications then.

Thanks for all inputs! (I continued Keli's problem.)

It was found out that on-site tests showed no notification problems (there is a notification after a backup is done and when no backups are done after x days). Simply put, notification does not work on terminal sessions no matter what you do.

Archived