Restoring empty directories

Why in the world does Retrospect NOT restore empty directories without causing us to do tumblesaults?

A directory is merely a structure that describes other files and directories.

It's none of Retrospect's businees whether the directory is presently empty.

It is absolutely necessary to maintain the file and directory structure, without doing tumblesaults.

How do I restore empty folders without restoring the entire hard disk? attempts, rather poorly, to explain how to restore empty directories.

I finally figured out how to do this, no thanx to article 26471.

First, Retrospect needs to be modified by adding the capability to do a true restore, i.e., restore empty directories.

In order to not break folkes current scripts, this behavior could be an option in Retrospect.

The default must be to PROTECT the user (I wiped out an entire drive until I figured this out!).

Those relying on the old behavior would be required to set the option to the current (mis)behavior.

Second, article 26471 needs to be clarified by listing the exact steps needed to restore empty directories.

I guess that I'll have to practice Restore options using a destination of an empty CD-RW or ZIP media.

You are correct that the directions need updating for Retrospect 6.5

Restoring an empty folder is easy.

1) Click "Restore" on the right side of the screen

2) Select "Entire Volume" from the main directory window (although we won't be restoring an entire volume)

3) Select the Backup Set and Snapshot and click okay

4) Select a destination.

5) Change the pop-up menu from "Replace Entire Disk" to "Retrieve Files and Folders". Click OK

6) Go to Files Chosen. Now, in the files chosen Browser, double-click either the root of the source volume or an entire enclosing folder which contains empty folders. Empty folders will be highlighted but not marked. When you execute the restore, all the enclosed empty folders will be restored. No other combination of restore types or file selection will restore any empty folders.

As noted in the directions you referenced:

Warning: Be very careful when restoring. If you choose "Restore entire" or "Replace corresponding files" in the restore method pop-up menu, Retrospect will replace and/or delete files on the destination volume.

I figured out how to do the deed, but my comment was intended to indicate that I do not think that article 26471 is clear enough.

In particular, the instructions quoted below are not equivalent to those of the article.

For example, item 5 could be something like

'Change the pop-up menu from "Replace Entire Disk" to any method other than "Retrieve just Files". Click OK'

And, the warning, in the last paragraph of the article, should be moved into item 5 to reduce the chance that a user will clobber all files on a drive when the user wishes to restore only a few files.

Item 6 states that one can select either the "root" or "an entire existing folder", implying that one must restore either the entire volume or only those files in a single subtree. Hopefully, users can select several subtrees and isolated files.

IMHO, article 26471 needs to explictily cover these issues.

JUst as important, "fix" Retrospect to have an option that forces/disallows empty directories to be restored.

Quote:

Mayoff said:

You are correct that the directions need updating for Retrospect 6.5

Restoring an empty folder is easy.

1) Click "Restore" on the right side of the screen

2) Select "Entire Volume" from the main directory window (although we won't be restoring an entire volume)

3) Select the Backup Set and Snapshot and click okay

4) Select a destination.

5) Change the pop-up menu from "Replace Entire Disk" to "Retrieve Files and Folders". Click OK

6) Go to Files Chosen. Now, in the files chosen Browser, double-click either the root of the source volume or an entire enclosing folder which contains empty folders. Empty folders will be highlighted but not marked. When you execute the restore, all the enclosed empty folders will be restored. No other combination of restore types or file selection will restore any empty folders.

As noted in the directions you referenced:

Warning: Be very careful when restoring. If you choose "Restore entire" or "Replace corresponding files" in the restore method pop-up menu, Retrospect will replace and/or delete files on the destination volume.

• 6 months later...

Quote:

No other combination of restore types or file selection will restore any empty folders.

Quote:

Sounds more like a work-around than a feature to me...

computer.gif

Mikee

Archived