All tapes appear locked

Hello,

I've been using Retrospect Workgroup for well over a year now, running on a copy of OS X Server 10.1.4. This is running on a 933 MHz G4. I have had no significant problems with this setup until today.

On June 28th, the DLT tape in our Quantum brand tape drive finally filled up. And the software prompted for a new tape. On inserting a fresh tape the software shows the tape is locked. However the drive shows (correctly) that the tape is not locked. Trying fresh or recycled tapes all show the same problem.

Locking that tape and reinserting it the drive shows the tape is locked, and the Retrospect software also shows it as locked. Unlocking the tape and reinserting it the drive then shows the tape is not locked, but the software still shows it as locked.

The drive is hosted from an Adaptec 29160 and is the only device on that card. I've tried changing the SCSI ID, numerous power-down and reboots. All to no avail.

I'm getting ready to try creating a new user, or moving the Retrospect software to an entirely different machine. But I thought it would be worthwhile to ask if anyone has had similar experiences or has an easier solution.

I also tried updating the Retrospect software to the latest revision, 5.0.238. I have not tried replacing the SCSI Cable because I don't have a spare cable and the one I do have was fairly expensive.

Thanks in Advance for any help or ideas!

Paul Tower

Archived