Corrupt Catalog Rebuild

Has anyone been able to rebuild a corrupt catalog from tape using the last tape used instead of starting with the first tape of the set?

I always get the error message "Can't find saved Catalog File on member 3-xxxxxxx"

Is a "Catalog File" stored on each tape?

It takes about 5 hours to recatalog 1 tape and with 4 tape in a set, it takes me 20+ hours to recreate from tape. Any ideas or suggestions? Does say check hard drive because this had happen on all 8 Retrospect severs which all consist of raid-5.

With Windows the catalog should be at the beginning of each tape (expect for tape #1).

If it fails with tape #3, then try starting the rebuild with tape #2.

If the catalog file size exceeds 50% of the media capacity then it will not get saved to the media, and would require a total rebuild from tape #1

Quote:

"If the catalog file size exceeds 50% of the media capacity then it will not get saved to the media"

Based on this then the catalog file will NEVER be saved to tape because each tape fills to capacity and moves on to the next available tape. Which means no matter what you will always have to rebuild from tape 1, which is stupid. I think Dantz need to find a way to create a redundant copy of the catalog file so if the primary file gets corrupt it will switch over to the secondary copy or at least break the catalog file in chunks so you can recreate only the bad file instead of the entire 800+MB catalog file.

I don't think you understood the process. Probably my fault.

When we begin writing to a tape, we normally copy the catalog file to the beginning of the tape.

If I have a 20GB tape, then my catalog file would need ot be larger then 10GB to NOT get added to the beginning of the media.

If my catalog file is 100MB in size, then the first 100MB of the tape will be used for the catalog before any new data is written to the tape.

Now that makes sense and that's the way I thought it worked. But I've never been able to recreate from any of the other tapes except for tape 1, which makes me think that the catalog file is not being written to the beginning of each tape. Or maybe I'm doing something way?

There is an option 'Fast Catalog File Rebuild' which puts the catalog at the start of each tape.

This is in Tools -> Backup Sets -> (choose your set) -> properties -> Options tab

If this is turned off, the catalog is only on tape 1, if it's turned on it should be on all the tapes.

Paul

Quote:

flouie said:

I'll try recreating all the scripts. I know for a fact that the scripts were originally 5.0 and we've been upgrading since to 6.0

Rebuilding the scripts may not be enough, new Backup set destinations would need to be created.

Archived