Does 6.5 include improvements to backing up permissions on NTFS?

KingMongo

One of the more disapointing aspects of Retrospect 5.6's performance for us has been the length of time that it takes to back up permissions. On a large File Server, this results in extremely long backups, and extremeley low throughput, which I felt was injurious to the mechanism of our tape drives.

Has there been any improvement to this, i.e., are there some specific, quantifiable reductions to the length of time it takes to backup up file & folder permissions?

Thanks for your reply!

So, if you restore a Windows Server for which folder permissions were backed up (which happens by default), but individual *file* permissions were not, would the files inherit permissions from the folder in which they reside, or per whatever inheritance there was?

What if inheritance was disabled? Would the files then revert to default (Everyone group has Full Control), or have no permissions applied at all?

Thanks again.

It's a good question - I think it depends on how you have permissions set up. If you were to move a file from another hard drive (a file that is wide open) into one of your folders, would it inherit the permissions of that folder?

We're going to restore the files wide open - you may want to research the Microsoft site as to how those files will be affect depending on the permissions structure you have set up.

Others on the forum may be more knowledgeable about conditions under which permissions are inherited.

Archived